the timing on the double haul - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM

the timing on the double haul

this has probably been covered before in the forum, but I havenīt found the thread. Please patience or Iīll settle for a link.
My instints tell me the first haul should begin when Iīm picking up the line (it also helps me get it off the water), and the second haul when Iīm starting the foward cast.
But Iīve read this is better: First haul as the rod reaches vertical position right before you flip back and up, and the second haul after the foward cast has begun. This feels a lot more awkward; becaus Iīm loosing the chance to use the tension of the fly line fully extended behind me to make the tug in the second haul.
Any tips for the timing??

by the way, something I read that works for me real well is making the hauls with a fast movement
cheers and thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.