Teeny TT-275? - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Teeny TT-275?

I recently purchased a Teeny 275 grain Tip Taper line with a 22' head and 60' running line, and am having some difficulty casting it. I am using a 9x9 Orvis Clearwater rod, and a 6' 30 lb. Ande leader with a piece of yarn on it. While the line is loading the rod fine, only about 1 in 5 casts lands straight 60' out. 2 in five land in a mess at various distances, and 2 in five land in a very large L, hinging near where the head and running line join. I have triend throwing open and closed loops, sidearm casts, belgian/oval casts, and overhead casts. I have triend having 1-2 feet of overhang, as well as stripping the head into the rod and shooting it out on the back cast. The last fast sinking integrated shooting head that I used was a 300 grain Orvis Wonderline depthcharge, and that was a pleasure to cast, both on my orvis Clearwater and my 9x10 Loomis Crosscurrent, so I'm wondering if I'm screwing up, or if the line just sucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
A couple of thoughts on your problem:
1. 275 grain is a bit light for a 9wt, but you indicatged it loaded the rod ok. I use a minimum of a 300, but generally a 350gr on a 9wt.
2. Short heads tend to dump, which gives you the "L" or the rubbish pile at the end. Try slowing down your forward cast. Heads generate a lot of line speed and shorter ones plain run out of unfurling with a kick at the end.

I find that using 26ft Rio Striper heads, I need to slow down the forward stroke to fully turnover and extend the head in a straight line.

Bjoth Rio and SA have debuted heads with T-14 that can be cut to length/grains based on the size of rod. I use 30ft on a 10wt, which translates into 420 grains.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks Jim, I'll try slowing down my stroke some. i did try it for a bit with my brother's rod, a St. Croix Pro-Graphite 9 wt., which is a softer rod, and that helped a bit. I'll also try slowing down my stroke a bit.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Pencil me in.....

I own the Teeny Tip Taper in 175 Grain. It is a modified chuck & duck line with added weight in the tip section and extremely difficult to cast. I have few spots that I fish that line in the salt that feature strong current through narrow passageways. I gets down faster than any other line and is excellent for its intended use and probably outfishes any other line in those conditions. It fishes well only with a short leader (4 feet). For general salt use, I would get another line. If it was easy to cast it would be longer than 82 feet :-)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks, jfbasser. I thought that it might be difficult when I saw the dimensions of it, but I bought it anyways. Oh well, it's a good excuse to buy another line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.