You've seen this before.....old plug guy,new fly guy. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2007, 12:56 AM

You've seen this before.....old plug guy,new fly guy.

I've fished the southwest florida coast my whole life.Snook,redfish,(though they're impossible to catch)Tarpon.I've been a plug caster since I was 16.About 4 years ago all of my fishing buddies switched to fly and I'm the last holdout.It's finally time.
I've fished with the same tackle for years.My plug rod is a Berkley Lightening rod with an ambassadeur 5500 that i've had for over 8 years.my spinning rig is a shimano sienna with a carbomax rod that i've had for about a year longer.cmbined I've probabaly spent about 170$ on everything or years of problem free fishing.Other friends have spent tons of money on Calcutta baitcasters,stradic spinners,Fin-nors...none have performed at the same level for as good a price as i have spent on my gear.
I want to start fly fishing (in saltwater) with a 7 or 8 weight outfit with the same economic efficiency that i have applied in the past.I've looked at the Gold cup combo,St. Croix premier combo,and the Redington combo......

What route should i take?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.