Fly Fishing Forum banner

Old bamboo rod

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an old bamboo rod that was left in a closet of our first house. It's in a cardboard tube. The only markings on the tube are part of a label that says
Manufactured by Union Hardware Company. Made in USA. something?? Bamboo.

It is a 3 piece rod with an extra tip. All guides and hardware is in tact and it's in excellent condition.

Is this worth anything? I have no idea how old it is, but by the style of writing on the label, I'm assuming it's pretty old (1940's 1950's?). The woman who lived in the house was in her 90's and her husband had been dead for years. This was back in the early 80's.

Thanks,
Jeff

#3 ·
Teflon_Jones,
Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking of selling it, but just curious if it had any value. It's really very nice looking and I've kept it around just because I think it's pretty cool.

Given it's not worth much, think it would be usable for a fishing rod for occasional use?

Thanks,
Jeff

#4 ·
It would absolutely be usable! I'd inspect it carefully for any cracks and to make sure the glue is holding ok, but it's probably fine. As with any older rod, especially bamboo, I'd just make sure you're ok with it breaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.