Learning to cast with what weight rod? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Learning to cast with what weight rod?

Hi folks, Newbie here. I am ready to take the plunge into fly fishing, but I have not purchased a rod yet, nor have I decided upon a specific line weight. I am seriously thinking about building my own rod, but not sure on that either.

I plan on fishing for panfish and trout (out of state on the trout) to start, and eventually fish for steelhead and smallmouths in the rivers. I was thinking along thelines of a 4 or 5 weight, or posiibly a 7 or 8 so I can hit the rivers next year. I intend to take casting lessons before I head out, but I was wondering,would I be better off learning on a lighter weight rod, as opposed to a heavier weight? Seems to me that it shouldn't make a difference, as the casts are the same for either one. But I do see the potential for more practice swinging a 4 than an 8, just from the heavier rod/reel/line combo with the 8.

I don't know anyone who fly fishes, so I am kind of in the dark. I am reading as much as I can-books and forums- but would just like so advice from some people in the know.

I am starting in the wrong season here in Ohio too, as I currently have 3 inches of snow outside my window. I'll have a bit of a problem finding someplace to take lessons this time of year.

Smith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.