Let me introduce myself - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Let me introduce myself

I just joined this forum prior to my recent trip to the Gaspe. My name is Howard Gaber and I've lived on Long Island for the past 18 years. Prior to that I lived in the Catskill Mountains in Woodstock NY, where I designed jewelry and flyfished for trout and atlantic salmon. I spent all my fall seasons surfcasting on Martha's Vineyard

I've been fly fishing since 12 years old (hmmmm.....thats over 40 years ago). I plyed my fly fishing in the Catskill mountains through the 60s through the mid 80s. I also fished for Atlantics religiously every summer on the Matane and Matapedia rivers.

Throughout my life I've also fished the salt, and lived on Martha's Vineyard for several years where I fished the Vineyard surf for striped bass. Fly fishing was only beginning to take hold in the salt back then as we used to catch bonitos and false albacore from the north side beaches and caught them on flies before it was a fashion. We also, on occasion tackled the high south side surf with the fly rod, catching many bass in the 30 and 40 pound range on big decievers and blondes.

After relocating my business to New York 18 years ago, and moving to Long Island, I bought an offshore sport fisherman and kept it Montauk, the gateway to the offshore grounds. It's there where I learned to fish the north east canyons for yellowfin, mahi and marlin, and fish the Giant Tuna runs off Nantucket in the fall. We've also done pretty well out there on fly on occasion......with bluefins and yellowfins and of coarse all the mahi you want.

Now I am revisiting my past and getting more and more back into fishing the atlantic salmon. I love to fish, but age has mellowed me. I now love nature as much as the challenge, I love the northern woods the most. I love the streams and rivers, and need to spend more time on them. Soon I will retire and be there much much more often.

I enjoy posting questions, topics of discussion, as well as writing reports and sharing information. I've enjoyed reading many posts on this site. I look forward to be a positive participant.

Howie

Last edited by Venture; 07-25-2006 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.