Ok, what's your preference, Tarpon or Bonefish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM

Ok, what's your preference, Tarpon or Bonefish?

Okay, just wanted to start a thread here and see what kind of answers we get. Basically, which do you prefer to fish for, tarpon or bonefish, and why? There is no wrong or right answer, just wanted to see the views here. I will present a couple of views as well - I know that although Lefty Kreh has described the tarpon as perhaps the most exciting fish around, his favorite fish to stalk on a fly is bonefish due to the challenge of getting a hookup. On the other hand, Dan Blanton has relayed that he prefers tarpon and admits many anglers like bonefish and tarpon better because of the technical aspect of feeding them, he likes tarpon because there is no guarantee you will land one after a hookup whereas most permit and bones are pretty much foregone conclusion once you hoook up.

As for me, I prefer tarpon for the same reason - the main reason I like saltwater is the challenge of light tackle fishing against a fish where you are never sure that you will land it. I like fighting fish that are 8-12 times the size of my tippet and pushing my equipment to the limit, and sometimes past it. I like the toe-to-toe slugfests I get into with a fish, and the getting to the breaking point to see who blinks first, me or the fish. Tarpon exemplify all that I love about SW fishing, including beautiful surroundings, but most of all the slug fests where sometimes, as I put it, I have to get "street-fighter mean."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.