Safety Checked - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 01:08 PM
CantAnchorUs

Safety Checked

Hit the water early this morning for a beautiful day, couldn`t pass it up. Upon returning to the dock I could see the DEM wordens truck pulling up and by the time I tied up he walked out on the dock and did a through safety inspection and asked for the registration. He even checked to see if I had any herring on board even tho the fly rods were conspicuously standing in front of him. He was impressed that everything was in order, he said that 90% of boats were not up to compliance. It turned out to be a very pleasant meeting, on a Wed in April he wasn`t overly buzy, I was the only trailer in the lot. He said to tell people that they are out and checking so watch out or get it right.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Fly chucker

It's nice to hear that they are out there and doing their jobs. I'm especially glad that they're checking on the herring.

Get any fish today, or was this just another shakedown cruise?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:22 PM
CantAnchorUs

Not to rub it in but you asked, in the 3 times out I`ve got 69 bass all while burning about 3 gal of fuel.
Slinger
Old 04-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Jonesin...

Steve,

Its too bad everything was in order. I was hoping for "Caught in Providence II."

I have tomorrow off but I am trying to resist the urge to get out there and get the garage organized for the summer and the boat waxed. Sunday looks good though.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Fly chucker

Rubbing it in? Heck no. That's good to hear.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:46 AM
CantAnchorUs

In the mood to type, which is rare, so I`ll relate the story of " Caught in Providence", it may be worth a chuckle.There`s a program by that name on local channels featuring Prov. municipal court sessions. Ordinary citizens go to court to beef about things like 47 unpaid parking tickets or loud music at 3 in the morning.
So, I had just bought my first boat and was taking it out for the first time in the bay. I put in at Bold Point ramp which is at the very top of the bay where the Seekonk river joins the upper bay. Upriver is a marina , downstream a few hundred yds is the open bay. There used to be a night club called Shooters with a few docks for the personovanti to tie up to but it had been closed for yrs. As I headed for the open water a cop in a Whaler that was hiding behind one of the docks came zooming out and stopped me, lights flashing, sirens wailing, acted like I was some sort of terrorist or somthing. After checking everything on the boat and finding nothing except the extinguisher was expired, he wrote me out a ticket for doing 8 MPH in a no wake zone. I said the club and docks had been closed for yrs and he said I don`t care, tell it to the Judge. So thats what I decided to do. I`d be damned if I was gonna pay $100. I was sent a summons to municipal court and showed up wearing my finist fishing tee shirt. I was called right after the guy fined $200 for having 4 tv`s in his SUV playing full blast. Judge Caprio has earned the respect of the people for his fairness and humor. After explaining what happened he asked me how big my boat was and I told him" It`s a 16` tin boat with a 40 horse on it. His reply " Oh a real ocean liner huh. Case dismissed"
I couldn`t believe how many people watch that show. Most people I know or work with told me about it and I became a real celebrity for 15 min.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.