Great beers of the great fishing destinations of the world! - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 PM

You all know a good beer when you taste one. Thank god Americans found the brew pub and we no longer suffer with Bud and Miller. I read somewhere that Americans were strictly Ale drinkers before World War 1. But the troops got turned on to different types of beer and Ale fell out of grace except in Rhode Island where Pickwick Ale continued to be king for years.

My favorites came from long ago while sailing to places such as Tahiti and Indonesia.
In Tahiti there is a beer called Hinano. This beer is not a great beer but the label a colorfull reproduction of an oil painting of a beautiful native girl was truely a visual pleasure. Did a google search on Hinano and they have modernized the label but still one of the nicest labels one will find anywhere.

In Indonesia a beer called Bintang Bir Pilsner or just Bintang is outstanding for a commercial beer. The Dutch who once colonized Indonesia must have started a Heineken brewing factory there many years ago. After they got kicked out of Indonesia or gave the country of 3000 islands their independence the Indonesians continued to make the beer but changed the name to Bintang. The label is still the same as the old Heineken label except it says Bintang instead of Heineken. If I remember right it tasted better than even the Heineken one gets in Europe. It came in quart bottles, cost 8 cents a bottle in 1971. There was very little refrigeration in Indo back then so it was served warm but if one had the courage to ask for ice cubes and took the risk of getting the runs from the ice you got a great tropical beer. How does a country on the equator grow hops and good wheat and barley?
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 09:34 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Taped a documentary on the Battle of Tarawa one night-during the fighting a couple of Marines found some bottles of Japanese Kirin beer, and one was actually caught on film taking a swig of the stuff by a combat cameraman, as bullets whizzed by them. Never a bad time for a beer!
Flydoc
P.S.- the Marine in question survived the war, so I guess the beer hadn't been poisoned....
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Middle Aged Member

Never met a beer I didn't like. Always try the local micros when travelling. Fallback is Bass Ale or that “light crap” Bud light. Pickwick ale, that was some good rot gut. A co-worker had a third interest in a place called Pickwicks Pub in the 80's. Served pickwicks on draft long after I thought the brand was defunct. Before the so-called microes you could get some pretty crappy local beers around the country like Narragannset here in the northeast or Hamms in minnisota or wisconsin. Mmm mmm good.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 AM

If you can find it, try "Endurance" - it a Boston brewed beer - pictur of a guy smoking a pipe on the lable - the beer is loosely inspired by Shackleton, his misadventures in the antartic - and the first mate, who is pictured.

I'm not an IPA fan but I like this beer - crisp hops finish without being edgy or biting
Old 03-31-2006, 08:20 AM

Fred, as a kid I remember many times going into my dad's bar in Weymouth at 0700 and the bar was lined up with good hard working night shift folks just sitting down to a shot of Old Thompson Wiskey and a Pickwick Ale, long neck of course. Both flavors and a Boston Hearld were the main stay in those days.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Middle Aged Member

OC, the paper was probably a Record-American in those days.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:01 AM

FRED I'M OLD BUT NOT THAT OLD!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

flydoc,

I had a Kirin at lunch on Wednesday.

A bit light for my taste, but it was better than Bud or Miller.

Charlie
Old 04-01-2006, 09:31 AM

Michagain has some good beer.

Has anyone tried Bell's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 12:55 PM

My day-to-day- Sea Dog IPA, in my mug at the pub in Bangor;

Geary's Hampshire Special Ale, coming in at a whopping 7%;

Former favorite- Otter Creek Copper Ale- brewed in my last hometown;

Got to agree with Fly doc and the Ipswich- one of my all time favorites.

Anyone have the 60 minute or 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish? Like Barleywine, but tasty- Their worldwide stout is amazing, like port.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Dogfish IPA

The Dogfish Head IPAs are fantastic...but I really like IPAs.

And Ditto on the Ipswich Ale. It has been a while since I drank that beer. I will have to change that ASAP.

I tried the Long Trail "Double Bag" a few weeks ago at a bar in Portsmouth and I must admit that I love that beer as well (on draught).

Good thread!

Mike
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Carib brewed in St.Kitts (BVI) - tasty!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Moose Drool when in Missoula MT and; if all goes well Kalik's on Andros by 6:00pm tonight!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
loco alto!

I spent a few weeks in MI 1994 and my contacts there were friends with the brewer at Bells. yummy.

there are so many fine beers in the PNW that its hard to even start on this one, moreover a lot of breweries and beers are named after the rivers and fish we love. Lately I've been enjoying the Skagit IPA that has made its way to my local small-town grocery in Oregon.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 AM

I live in Holland and close to the Belgium border. In some pubs overhere you can get over 70 different kinds of beer. My favourits are Palm (Dutch) and in summertime a Geuze (sour/fresh) from the Mort Subite brewery from Belgium.
I must says that I too tasted some good beers when I was in Michigan (The Brewery in Grand Rapis) and even Bud is nice if you are really thursty as you can't get drink on it. (or not really) In contradiction to a Belgium beer called Duvel (translated: devil). Not a really high alcohol percentage but a very very nasty bite. If you are not used to it you'd better stop after 2-3 bottles, but also a very nice taste.
If any of you might ever land up in my neighbourhood I will gladly spent an evening with you in one of these pubs.
rgds Adrian(V)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.