Fly Fishing Forum banner

How comfortable is fishing in a kayak?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  The French guy 
#1 ·
I'm in the market of a boat. I'm considering either a smallish canoe or a kayak. (Something I can throw on the roof of my car by myself.) If I get a canoe I can take the kids out with me. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they have zero interest in going so I'm also considering a kayak.

Keeping in mind that I'm getting into my mid 40's, and that I have a sedentary job so I'm a little heavier than I'd like, I'm wondering how practical it would be for someone like me to fly fish from a kayak?

I tried sitting in a kayak at a shop and it seems like a pain to get in and out of. It also seems like it would be almost impossible to remain completely dry in a kayak.

#4 ·
Taste plays a role, I much prefer to get out and just use the yak for transportation. If the fish would not cooperate of course I would fish from it where I had to. It' certainly was not as pleasant as standing on two feet for me but hooking up was more fun than standing on the shore looking at the distant blitz. The Nantucket Sleigh ride is very fun, in fact every one I've ever seen including myself can't help but get a little giddy while being towed by a fish :)

#5 ·
Morania said:
The rest of us would like to see too.
Mark sent me a link to a non-sponsor site. It's a very good site. Thanks Mark!

Just google "Kayak fishing" and look at the first non-sponsored link that talks about "Stuff".

Not sure if a kayak is in the cards for me this year. I was cleaning the basement and noticed some sawdust looking stuff on the floor. I pulled down some of the ceiling insulation and a bunch of the wood is wet and rotting. There were some ants and beetle looking bugs. The wood is the cap plate on top of the foundation. I'd guess it's going to be expensive to fix. :(

#6 ·
Heritage makes a "fishing" kayak that seems cheap and light. It won't paddle like the sleeker ones, but it would be a good way to check things out, and it only weighs 45#.
Or maybe rent one from EMS for a weekend.

I would rather fish out of a canoe, but they can get blown around. Best for flatter water and a partner.

#7 ·
I found a Kayak as a great way to get to new spots that you can't access easily by wading. Sometimes just getting accross a channel to the other side can make a big difference. I found it is tough to fish out of one for more than 4-5 hours at a time without getting out and walking around.

I think you'll find a SOT style as a bit safer for fishing, but many fish with no problems in a sit-in style. There are lots of nice kayaks to choose from, best to try some out before buying one.

Greg.

#9 ·
Weather you get a SOT or Sink it's the seat that causes the discomfort. Most yak shops sell padding that makes sitting in the yak more comfortable. I second the site that was in the pm even thought I own a Sink. Each style of yak has advantages. Try before you buy. I was set on one brand of yak until I tried my Necky Santa Cruz. She's a fast seaworthy craft with a large cockpit but not so large as to be a problem. Handles nasty weather just fine. Just my .02FishHawk

#10 · (Edited)
What I find most uncomfortable sitting in the kayak is having my legs
almost completely straight out in front of me: my joints don't take that
very well any longer, at least not for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.
A kayak I've thought about that potentially helps
overcome that particular problem but that has others of its own is one
called the "X-Factor." You'll find it on the kayak "stuff" site. It appears
to be stable enough that you could put in a seat 4-5 inches off the
bottom. But this kayak is on the heavy side and while not among the
slowest, will not set any speed records.

Re your basement: if the only thing that is rotten is that one board,
I suspect that the repair may be much simpler than you might imagine.
Two or three jacks, some 2X8s or 2X10s for temporary beams, and
some new wood might do the trick. But I'm not an engineer, and I'd
talk to one before doing anything myself, if it were me.

#11 · (Edited)
I can attest that the X-factor is indeed very stable. I use it with a poling platform and I flyfish the flats from it. Not everyone can achieve what I do from it, but everyone can easily stand on the lower deck.

A kayak can be very uncomfortable, especially if it is undersized, has a wet ride and is not stable. It is better if you can try one before you buy. As a personal choice, I remove everything I do not need on a yak that could snag my fly line or prevent me to move around easily: this includes the back rest.

Here is a list of kayaks that are very versatile (all SOT). Not the fastest, but speed is not all you need.

Ocean kayak drifter, prowler
Malibu X-factor and X-treme
Wilderness system ride and tarpon 14
Cobra kayaks fish & Dive
Heritage MArquesa.

I prize a lot the MArquesa. It is fast for a boat that wide and short, tracks really well, and is very stable. It is very dry too and the hull is very hard (= very responsive hull and tough).

I like also the WS ride (but it does have some hull slap: nver prevented me to catch bones in shallow water though). The X factor is big and is best to be used with someone heavy (I weigh 155 pounds).

Serge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.