Trying to track the history of a vintage rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
New but not Green

Trying to track the history of a vintage rod

I have recently been willed what appears to be a vintage fly rod and was wondering if you might be able to help me identify it, and get some background on it. I’d also like to know if I should insure it etc.

It’s a four piece bamboo rod (three pieces make up the rod and there is a second tip that I am assuming is a different weight) with the markings of AL&W Toronto. The rod is hand marked with the following; AL&W and “Blake.”

It is in very good condition. The blank shows very little wear.

Here are some pictures for those of you who are interested.

http://www.otci.ca/photos/wholerod.JPG
http://www.otci.ca/photos/Handle.jpg
http://www.otci.ca/photos/signature.jpg

I have ascertained that the manufacturer was the ALLCOCK, LAIGHT & WESTWOOD Company out of Toronto, Ontario Canada. The main things I would like to find out are:

Is this rod a collector’s item and if so what would its value be. I stress that I will not sell this rod as it was bequeathed to me by a very close friend who recently died. This information would be for insurance purposes

What is the significance of the “Blake” marking?

When was the rod made? I know that AL&W was making rods from 1850 through to n1930 but I’d like to narrow this range down if possible.

Can the rod be used for fishing or is it destined to be a wall hanging?

Any help is appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.