Back after 40 years - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Back after 40 years

Greetings!

I'm the new kid on the block here, having registered just this evening.

When I was 12, my grandfather taught me how to fly fish in the Lake of the Ozarks. I caught baskets full of bluegills, and it was a great time with wonderful memories.

I haven't picked up a fly rod since (that's been 40 years)....until now. For my 52nd birthday, I received an Ugly Stick (lite) 9' flyrod and a Pflueger reel....equipped with a cheap sinking line, and a leader.

I cobbled it all together, and hit the local farm pond a couple of weeks ago. My first morning out (6:00 AM), I caught 12 bluegills, a 2 pound bass, and a 4.5 pound bass. Last Saturday morning (same time same pond), I caught 25 bluegills. So....as you might guess....I'm hooked!

Here's my question. In addition to the fly rod outfit, I received a $250 gift certificate to Bass Pro Shops for my birthday (life is hard). Since I'm just getting back into fly fishing, and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.....what do I need?

Fly stuff lust has proven to be a powerful thing....but I want to shop wisely (if that is at all possible). It will be a couple of weeks till I can make the drive to Charlotte...so I have a while to think about it.

I will be fishing for Bass and Bluegills in our local lakes and ponds (no trout in this part of the state).

So...what do you think?

- Roosterdad (new kid on the block)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.