Here's instructions on tying my version of a Dahlberg diver, named Teflon's Diver in honor of me. (Hey, I always wanted a fly named after me! )
You can change up the colors of the marabou, bucktail, and deer hair to your liking. I just happen to like this color pattern.
Standard 2/0 hook, also can use a 0 streamer hook
1. Start by tying a large piece of marabou just ahead of the bend in the hook. It should extend about 1-1.5" past the bend. Don't bother trimming the tag end, just wrap it onto the hook to create some body.
2. Take a small amount of yellow bucktail and tie it onto the bottom of the hook about 1/2 way down the shank to form the mid-section of the fly. It should slightly overlap with the tag end of the marabou.
3. Layer a small amount of white bucktail on the bottom of the fly, tying it on just in front of the yellow, to create the belly of the fly.
4. Take a small amount of Olive bucktail and tie it onto the top of the fly to create the profile. This should be tied on at the same place as the yellow or slightly in front of it.
5. Take your deer hair and start spinning it on to create the diving head.
6. Trim the deer hair to shape. I like to make a small pointed head and trim the bottom of almost all deer hair, but leave a big untrimmed bunch of deer hair on top behind the head.
I think the key to this fly is the marabou. It really creates a fly that has a lot of movement in the water, even when it's sitting still.
My passion for catching fish is eclipsed only by the fish's passion not to be caught.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Lost: One firetiger pike diver||Quentin||Warmwater flyfishing||7||08-25-2005 10:39 AM|
|Diver heads||grouseman||>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies||12||02-01-2005 09:10 AM|
|Morrisfoam Diver||Dble Haul||>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies||2||02-17-2003 08:22 PM|
|Dahlburg Diver, my Pike fly swap entry||John Desjardins||>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies||0||04-23-2002 09:36 AM|
|Dahlberg Diver||shaialude||>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies||1||03-06-2002 10:48 AM|