Lost: One firetiger pike diver - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
_

Lost: One firetiger pike diver

Last seen clenched between the jaws of a 30" pike heading north in the Housatonic River.

I went to my favorite pike section of the Housy and found a few willing participants, including a thick 33"er that probably weighed 8 lbs or so (caught by non-ff means). I wanted to get one on the fly rod but they didn't seem interested in my frog diver. I kept going back to the spinning rod (just to search for fish ) and caught a couple more nice pike and a multitude of perch and bluegills. I finally decided to try my firetiger pike diver (the prototype of the pattern I tied for the pike swap) and vowed keep using it until I at least got a hit. Well, I got a hit and then some! I casted to a patch of shade next to the bank, and on the first "sploosh" a nice pike hammered the fly from below, came completely out of the water and did a somersault before spitting the fly at my head and splashing back into the river . I casted a few more times with no success and drifted downstream a bit. A few minutes later the wind pushed me back to the same area so I tried another cast. This time the pike slashed at the fly twice but missed both times. On the next cast the pike absolutely crushed the fly and stayed on the hook long enough for me to pull it up and get a look at it. I could see the head of the fly protruding from the side of its jaws so I thought I might actually land it, but on the next surge we parted company. I stuck around for a while hoping the fly might pop free and float to the surface but no such luck. Next time I'll use a heavier leader .

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.