New to Flyfishing; Several Questions! - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2005, 06:13 AM

Question New to Flyfishing; Several Questions!

Hello all, let me start by saying tersely how I was introduced to this fine sport.

Every year, usually, my family takes a trip to Colorado to go skiing(and I myself partake in snowboarding). Well, I'd had a longstanding interest in pursuing flyfishing at some point already, because my father had once lived in Denver(I'm in Texas) and had a nice rod/reel combo somewhere, so when I saw a pamphlet for a day-long flyfishing trip/learning experience, I was thrilled to try it. My father and I went out and had a lot of fun with it, I was sparked in my interest, though I caught no trought on Gore Creek in Vail(if any of you know that area, beautiful area).

I came home from the trip and immediately ran to several sporting-goods stores to find myself a cheapish, but decent, little combo set. I bought one of those cheap plastic-wrapped combos; when it came down to it and the rod broke, the reel I could not get the backing to hold to, I went out and ended up buying a nicer rod around 40 bucks, and a pre-rigged reel for about 30. Got myself an assortment of flies that to me resembled what fish seem to go for in our humid, bass and sunfish-laden area.

Now: I've had some fun, including a day where(they seem to bite at anything!) I caught 7 sunfish out of this tiny, tiny creek by using a small popper mostly as a no-action dry fly. Heh, funny. And excuse me, one of them was a tiny striper.

So I'm starting to wonder about wet flies/nymphs and I know I've bought several already; I won't worry about tying right now.

How am I going to go about fishing a wet fly, for one? Also, I haven't been able to find any strike indicators, all they sell around here are the regular little plastic-ball bobbers. They make too much noise for my taste; how could I perhaps make a small indicator myself with no special materials?

Further: Summer is indeed coming, I suspsect soon enough I'll want to dig again into my wallet, go to a more respectable shop like Bass Pro Shops(which for me is a good long way away, so I haven't been able to go there yet) and actually get some decent equipment.

Anyone know of some solid reel/rod combos or reels and rods that I could put together for under 200, 300 bucks? I suspect for that much I ought to be able to get a good setup, no?

Also, how might I entice a bass with a dry fly? I've had trouble getting the few largemouth bass in these little streams to go for anything.

Please, feel no need to condescend to me; though I am but 17, I will understand(or be able to look up) even the most remote terms of fly-fishing use.

Thank you all for any help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.