Cork Shaping Apparatus - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Marine Scientist

Cork Shaping Apparatus

I need some means of shaping the cork rings while on the blank, but can't bring myself to spend $140+ on something that looks like a block of wood with a huge ring clamp for strapping a drill on, nor do I think I want one of those aluminum rod-wrappers that have the cork-shaping motor (again, I don't think you need to drop a ton of money into equipment to build a nice rod). Does anyone have an alternate means of shaping cork that's effective and less expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 AM

How much material needs to come off, and how many rods are you building? If its ~ 1/8" and 1 or 2 rods I'd do it by hand. The sand paper mesh (made for sanding drywall) does a quick job of shaping cork. If its more than that I'd make my own grip lathe similar to what you describe.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

You should be able to find a drill stand and single rod stand that has rollers to support the other side of the blank for about $50.00 give or take a few dollars. Take a look at the various rod building catalogers (including the one that sponsers the forum) to find it.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Marine Scientist

I think I may have solved the problem: a custom powerwrap hand rod-wrapper (which will allow me to do the normal thread wrapping) with my Dremel (variable-speed) set up on a platform with chuck (rubber lab stoppers, glued back to back; I've used this several times and it grips the blank very well but is very gentle). In this fashion, I get a wrapper for the ages without the exhorbitant price and can use it to shape cork, to boot. Looks like $150; pricey, but worth it for a complete wrapper/cork lathe unit.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Marine Scientist

Here's the wrapper...

I just need to make the stand for the Dremel, and can also use this with my Flex-Coat drying motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hand rod wrapper.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2676  
Old 03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Small Mouth Angler

I take my drill, wrap a wrag around it, put it in a vise (don't clamp down to tight), then wrap masking tape around a drill bit until the blank (or glued cork pieces) jams into the bit tightly. Have your kid help by pulling the trigger to the drill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.