Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Limpe

Send a message via ICQ to Limpe Send a message via MSN to Limpe
Lightbulb Flyline sticks to rod?

I'm having some small problems...
On a #5 weight rod (Sage DS-2) the flyline tends to stick to the blank with the back-cast.
Especially with a wet flyline (while practicing on grass with a relative dry flyline this problem doesn't occur) the line tends to stick to the blank, with, lets say 14 meters of flyline out of the top-eye.
Using a small dryfly and a 9 ft leader.

I took another #5 weight with the same line that i thougt was the reason for my problem, problem solved.
So i did some investigation, the rods are both #5 weights, 9 Feet i tried several different lines but with my rod this problem is concistently there....

I blaim the spacing (or setting ..) from the upper 4 guides (counted from the top-eye, i do not count the top-eye) for this problem, on my rod, when you bend the rod like it bends on the back-cast ( while holding the flyline) you can see that the line hits the blank.
All the other rods i tried to find out what this problem was do have a different guide setting..let's say...a good setting that prevents the line from hitting ( or making contact with) the blank.

I am a little surprised, cuz my rod is from a worldfamous brand, most of the cheaper rods have a better spacing for the guides...well, better? At least i do not have this problem with the "other" rods...Maybe my specific rod is known for having this problem?
Do i make any sense?
Does anybody has the same expierence?

Greetings !

Last edited by Limpe; 02-26-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.