South Cape Cold but Hot - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2000, 09:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

South Cape Cold but Hot

With the cool east wind and drizzle, it took fleece and a jacket to keep the spirits high but the fish were willing. The amount of muck in the water prevented the usual south side sweeps although the birds were working bait just past the muckline about 3 times a Lefty cast from shore.

It was clear that inside estuaries were the ticket to escape wind and find warmer water. Thinking back on last week's clave, we headed into the channel between Stage and Dennis and there were a few rats to be had, but the water was cold on the legs and there seemed to be little going on.

Bill and I then moved into a water, darker, smaller estuary area and ended up with over 15 fish up to 25" with a 7 cast/ 7 fish streak in the middle.

Next morning I met Tom, same drill - started outside and the wind drove us in. Within a few casts I was into a fish with a tail bigger than a grown man's hand, a lot of screaming line and the rod bent to the butt. I got it close enough to see it was large and the tail waved around out of the water between runs. Tom was walking over cause I asked him to take a photo and sure as hell the fish spit the hook with only a few feet past the nail knot. Should have known better than to mention the "p" word!

About two casts later a 27" fish (landed) grabbed the fly and took the line into the backing. Little brown sea lice dancing all over the thing, beautiful condition. I compared the tail sizes on the fish in hand verses the one churning the water prior and figure the first one was a... "k" "kee" - better not say it, don't want to jinx myself. That's even worse than the "p" word. 19 or so fish later we called it a good morning.

Nice to have the season back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.