Tying leader to line - Fly Fishing Forum
Works for me! Tips and techniques worth sharing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Tying leader to line

I learned this knot years ago when I started fly fishing, and have used it ever since. I've never had one come apart even though it's simply a pressure knot. Here's how to tie it. You'll need a loop in the end of your leader for it. I've created a rough diagram of it to help.
Figure 1:
1. Hold the leader loop in your left hand between your thumb and forefinger. You should have only half of the loop exposed and the other half between your fingers. This is very important so the loop remains flat.
2. Pass the fly line up through the loop and over the side of the loop nearest you (represented by the red line going under the end of the loop and then over the side).
3. Carry the fly line under the loop to the other side (blue line).
Figure 2
4. Without allowing the leader loop to turn, bring the fly line over the top and pass it between the original line (red) and the leader loop. Pull on the line end of the fly line (NOT the tag end) until the line cinches tight. Make sure the leader bites a little into the fly line so it stays snug. I usually make sure it cuts through the plastic a little bit.
5. Trim the tag end of the line.

I've never had one of these come loose, even on big fish or trying to free my fly from a snag. The knot holding the fly to the line is always the first thing to break! It provides a super low silhouette going through the guides, and wastes a minimum of fly line. You can easily get by with only trimming 1/4" of tag end each time you tie a new leader on since it's really easy to get this precise with a little practice. I've never tried it on saltwater because I think that a big saltwater fish might just pull the knot so tight that it would cut right through the fly line. But for freshwater, 17 years of fly fishing and not a single problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knot.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	4346  

Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-19-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.