Floating Candlefish Fly for Silvers - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2001, 10:20 PM
Recent Member

Floating Candlefish Fly for Silvers

Last week there was a shoreline in the Puget Sound saltchuck with some good sized silvers chasing candlefish up to the surface. I was getting them on a Clouser Minnow fly using an extra fast sinking line. The activity started to slow down so I thought why not try a floating line and a foam bodied candlefish fly with a 2" synthetic tail(olive/white)which I had tied up a while ago but never used. If I could get the fly to skate and wake nicely on the retrieve it was bedlam for an hour. Sometimes there would be several fish chasing behind the fly before one would slam it. The fly would sink several inches below the surface if not retrieved. Short quick retrieves with pauses so that the fly would sink worked but not as well as the skated retrieve. I think the skated retrieve with all the surface disturbance brought the fish up to see what was going on.

I am going to try using smaller/lighter hooks so that the fly will float better and also balsa wood instead of foam. Has anyone used/tied and had success with floating candlefish flies in Puget Sound for silvers? I have seen some of the patterns that they use along the East Coast but didn't like the looks of them. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.