I would like some insight - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 AM

I would like some insight

I would like some insight into a mentality which I have heard across this site. Can anybody please tell me when I can get to the place where the fish are secondary or when it "ceases to be a numbers game'? I have been fishing steelhead for fifteen years now using various techniques, mostly with a fly rod. I picked up a spey last year and have had a blast fishing with it. Swinging flies is definately in my tricks especially in the spring when the water warms up a bit but I have a confession to make. When I release a steelhead, all I want to do is hook another steelhead. I don't count fish, I can't tell you at the end of the day, unless I hook less than two fish, how many I hooked. I get the satisfaction fo hooking fish on the swing and usually start the day with it but if it gets towards noon, and I have driven 2 1/2 hours to get to the stream, out comes the egg patterns and nymphs and I hit the slots. I use tactics which catch fish. In the colder water, I use slower presentations and nymphs and eggs, in the warmer temps, 45 and above I start to swing flies and right until mid to late May, catch plenty of steelhead on the swing. I guess after fifteen years and more steelhead than I can remember, I have to giggle every time I hook a fish, and laugh out loud every time it makes me look stupid. Isn't that why we go to the river? To see that cartwheeling twisting beautiful animal go ballistic?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.