A Stealth Rod As My First DIY - Comments?
I am thinking about building a DIY flyrod. I would like to describe what I am planning and see if you guys have any comments. I am a total newbie to rod-building, so I may not know what is realistic.
I would also like to get your suggestions as to Sage blanks.
Finally, would it be prudent to initially build a rod to these plans but on a less expensive blank, so that I won't waste so much money if I botch it? I am quite good with DIY things but have never made a rod. If it is a good idea, then can you suggest a moderately-priced blank with an action somewhat like the suggested Sage blank?
- 9 to 10 foot, 6 weight, 4 or 5 piece
- flat, matte finish (how do I get a non-shiny finish? lightly sand the finished rod?)
- wraps matching the blank color, no contrast or decoration at all
- two stripping guides, rest snake, large tip-top, hook keeper
- black finished guides and tip top (how can I do this? are they sold or do I have to send standard guides off for some sort of coating?)
- down-locking reel seat, hopefully black-finished, dark wood (I'm not picky about wood type), no fighting butt
- half Wells grip with dark-colored cork (what's a good way to dye cork?)
- I have a mix of rods now. Sage RPLs in 6 and 8 wts, Sage RPL-X in 10 wt, Sage LL in 4 wt, a Scott in 5 wt, and St Croix Imperial in 5 wt.
- I've come to definitely prefer a fast action and a long rod, and I'm partial to Sages. And I really find 4 piece rods handy.
- My impression is that the current Sage equivalent of the old RPL is the "XP".
- So, how do people like the 696-4 XP?
- I'm totally open to ideas.
P.S.: Oh, I forgot to mention the type of fishing. Trout on small-to-medium streams, from dry fly to weighted nymphs, floating line, often roll-casting or dapping.
Last edited by jyl; 07-24-2004 at 11:34 PM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|DIY Rod Repair||Possumpoint||Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here||4||10-24-2010 12:49 PM|
|Stealth Bomber||worstcaster||>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies||0||01-28-2006 06:46 PM|
|3wt stealth rod||SDHflyfisher||For Sale by Owner||7||12-28-2004 12:53 PM|
|Stealth on the Flats||FishHawk||Stripers and Coastal Gamefish||12||08-01-2002 11:48 AM|
|Is this to much stealth ?||pmflyfisher||Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion||22||04-06-2002 09:34 AM|