new reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2001, 08:25 AM

new reels

There will be new reels from Redington, Tibor, Abel with Ross, Galvin and Sage making some changes.
The Tibor reel is called the Backcountry. It is a larger reel in the Tibor lite series. It will come in two widths. It is very light and I think it would be good for steelhead, heavy freshwater and some light saltwater use. Line sizes covered will be 6-8 weight. They also introduced a new reel called the Pacific. This is a monster. Over 5" in diameter, this reel has a 500yd capacity and the biggest cork disk I have ever seen.
Abel is coming out with a Super 14. This reel is as big as the new Tibor and has an equally huge capacity/drag. Like all Abels, it is smooth as silk and finished like a jewel. Who is buying these reels? What are they fishing for? Are they catching anything? Both the Tibr and the Abel represent an interesting trend. Although I haven't seen it, Abel should introduce a new trout reel befor spring that will be light and have an outgoing clicker!
Reddingtons new reel is a combination of the battenkil, the vortex, and the STH cartrige reel. It has plastic interchangable spools and is shaped like a Vortex. It has a similar disk drag to the Battenkill. The spools(I think included with the reel) were yellow, blue and red. Ugly! Maybe a good value (like all Redinton products).
Ross has ported out the San Miguel and is finishing them a little different. This is not an improvment. Galvin has improved their internals making a good reel better. Same with Sage(I think these reels represent the future of salt water fly reels).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.