Windmills in Nantucket Sound - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs down Windmills in Nantucket Sound

I won't sugar-coat my opinion here, the windmill proposal sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for windpower! But not over 28 square miles of Nantucket Sound.

Why not in OTIS Air Force Base???? It's...

1) already secure

2) land-based

3) none of us can see it anyway

4) none of us can use it anyway

5) will not pollute our waters during maintenance of metal objects over salt water 24/7 environments by boat (what a joke!)

6) will prevent private exploitation and extortion of energy dollars at a higher cost while f**king up our sound for their own purposes

7) Cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain and less cost to consumers.

Worst of all, this is a private enterprise wanting to become ridiculously rich by exploiting public waters by selling "green" power at a higher cost back to the people they screw.

DON'T FALL FOR THIS CRAP! I hope the good people of New England do not fall for this scam. Just look at trees - the 'renewable resource' out in the pacific northwest. Not one old growth tree has ever been regrown as they take 750-1000 years to regrow and we are cutting them as thin as 100 ft tall toothpicks for paper mills which dump dioxin into the waters in a country that reads approx. 2% of what we print... 98% of all that devastation is for NOTHING. We owe it to the earth to have a conscience, although you won't see me chaining myself to a tree anytime soon it's about being an honorable sportsman. Recycle, don't subscribe to newspapers unless you really read them, and see the business drivers that are behind these initiatives.

Or hydroelectric dams on the Columbia River... the greatest salmon environment in the universe brought to it's knees and the salmon population reduced to 11-13% of it's size since the 1930's! Entire populations destroyed.

Did you know that in recent years tens of millions of dollars from civilian rate payers went to subsidize the electricity bills of major aluminum companies who consume huge gulps of the dams energy while they fricasee the salmon with turbines?

Take a look at the little dams on the Merrimack - they've completely wiped out all anadramous activity above Lawrence except for the efforts of guys like John Greenwood who is clinging to hang on to the funding to keep society believing that there once was a great run of Atlantics... stripers, sturgeon, all kinds of fish running clear up to Bristol NH from the sea wiped out. Most people are oblivious to the fact that the Merrimac was once one of the greatest angling rivers in America... can you imagine if we had a giant salmon run in the river today... that fishery would be worth tens of millions each year to local businesses, like Pulaski but right here and stretching all the way up to the headwaters of the Pemi near Newfound Lake and into tributaries, etc.

The Connecticut River is another casualty of "progess" and clean power... oh to have these two major salmon rivers back!

Otis makes way too much sense, doesn't it? They'll never go for it. Maybe I need to start an organization for the private entreprenuers who are trying to take over the sound...

getyerheadoutofyerass.org

:hehe:

These are the editorial opinions of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of the Flyfishing Forum, a neutral resource for the modern global flyfisherman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.