Light tackle fly fishing??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 07:41 PM

Question Light tackle fly fishing???

I was wondering. I have a 8 and a half foot , 6 weight rod and line , can i fish with this off the beach on the long island sound??

I have read some places that i can. If so, what problems will i run into with such light tackle?
Also, what are the max size flies i can use?

I would appreciate any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Marine Scientist

If you're planning on fishing for searun cutthroats, an 8.5' 6-wt. would work, however for stripers, large blues, albies, and anything else over a few pounds, four words: I wouldn't try it. A large fish could easily spool you, the extended time fighting the fish (vs. using a proper "heavy" rod) will cause fatigue that may prove fatal (to the fish, not you), and the range of fly sizes you can toss effectively is quite small. I've fished for snapper blues and schoolie stripers in protected estuaries with my 9' 6-wt. and done quite well with poppers, surf candies, and other patterns on size 1 and 2 hooks, but I draw the line with my 6-wt. there. Anything larger (in terms of the size of the fish targeted) and I go to an 8-wt. at the very least, and for the LI sound I wouldn't head out with anything smaller than a 9, preferably a 10-wt.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 PM

6-weight stripers

there is a smallish (2 acre) tidal pond near urban stamford that recieves a massive influx of peanut bunker during august...on top of tide stripers move in to feed and blitz conditions are a nightly occcurence....as the flies used are less than 4 inches and due to the protected nature of this locale (only a strong straight on south wind blows it out) I often fish for these bass with a 10' six weight....fish to 7 pounds or so are great fun....when the larger class of schoolies (8# plus) are around I make sure to fish a 25Lb leader (6-8 feet straight mono) so as I can put the wood to these fish and play them for a short amount of time....
summary:-6 weights can be great fun for stripers (avoid the albies period and blues over 5 lbs as you will kill them) as long as the wind is not an issue, the size of the fish is in the schoolie class and the needed fly patterns are on the small/lightweight side-(20 inch flatwings can be thrown on an uplined 4 weight if you really wanted to)

Good luck and go buy a cheap 9 or ten weight for the Li sound as wind is almost always an issue and sometimes you want to throw a heavy sinking line and grocery style flies to boot......or........get obsessed with using a two hander......

david
Old 03-16-2004, 06:00 AM

Something to think about with light rods for any game fish. You will have to play the fish longer with the lighter rod which could possibly tire out the fish and its chances for survival diminished. I have seen anglers on some famous trout streams use 3 wt rods and play trout for close to an hour and then stress the fish . Don't want to throw cold water on your choice. Just my .02
FishHawk
Old 03-16-2004, 07:05 AM

If you can't afford a heavier package, I think that you should fish whatever you've got. Schoolies should be not be much of problem on that rig. A big fish would require some skill to bring in quickly, but good anglers quickly land large fish on relatively light tackle all the time. Don't fight the fish off the tip of the rod, and you should be ok. You will learn alot...like you need a heavier rod.
Problems you will run into: you will not be able to fish many of the most effective flies. You will be shut out if it gets windy. Your reel is probably going to need alot of TLC because it is probably a fresh water reel. You will not be able to cast the faster sinking lines.
I recomend that you fish small bucktails and flat wings(up to a few inches). They are easy to cast. For that rig, I would stay away from lead eyes and epoxy type flys. They might be too heavy for that rig. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:14 AM

thanks guys

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate all the info.

I am slowly trying to put together a salt setup. And i am glad to find out i can still fish by my hous until then.

If you guys have any ideas about a cheap salt setup i would appreciate all the info.

thanks again guys
Old 03-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Marine Scientist

Re: thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by odin909
If you guys have any ideas about a cheap salt setup i would appreciate all the info.
Now you've gone and opened the can! I think that for the money you'd be hard-pressed to find a better rod than a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) TiCr; they're very reasonable, with a price tag under $250. As for a reel, Tetons make good, affordable large arbor models ($150). I think that a 10-wt. rod/reel combo would run somewhere in the realm of $380; add your choice of line. That particular combo would probably provide you a lifetime of good performance.

Last edited by flyfisha1; 03-16-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM

what's your all up budget?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.