Buyout a success?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Buyout a success??

Hello everyone.
Just wondering your thoughts as you saw things on Atlantic Salmon rivers in 2003? For the most part, Prince Edward Island salmon runs were up over years past with a few experiencing excellent runs. The Morell, for instance, was estimated at 1500 to 2000 fish. I lean toward 2000 as it just never seemed to end. Four fish over 20lbs were recorded in the trap and 3 were landed at 15lbs each. Alot of 12lb- 16lb fish were observed in the pools.
The margaree, from all accounts had good numbers of fish from early summer through Halloween. Lots of water slowed things down by times last fall, but i had at least one fish on everyday of my trip. (Oct13-19)
Reports from Gaspe rivers were of terrific runs as well. Labrador reports were of more big fish than usual(no nets at sea???) as grilse rivers had an unusual amount of MSW fish arriving.
Was '03 just a peak in the cycle? Banner years like last have appeared before. Was it just a coincidence? I hope not. I hope that Salar may have turned a corner and perhaps this is the "toe-hold" (Greenland closure) this species needs.
Without naming names and giving away secret pools, I would be interested to get a feel for what each of you found in your geographical area. Were runs up? Down? Same?
Looking forward to some responses.
Lets hope 04 puts 03 to shame!!!
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne Miller
><)))*>
Topher, I am friends with Corey Mosher and i took a picture of you last october at "Swimming Hole". You had released a nice 10lb-12lb fish. No proper introductions at that time, perhaps this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	very fresh summer fish.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2915  
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.