Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2000, 12:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines

Thanks to Bill Senegal (Rio rep) I've been fishing the new Rio sink head / intermediate line combo. My first impression was that the running line was a bit thicker than the others of this style (Teeny, Cortland QA, etc). As I fished it more and more I grew to like it a lot more because it gives you some 'meat' to hang on to as you work the line. Most SWFF applications involve stripping the line for fly action and the more substantial running line is easier to grip.

The albright delaminated the coating over the mono core the first try, but a second try took well and the junction survived a few hard running Monomoy stripers who took lots of backing in the rip current.

My hope is that this line prevents the coating failures that the Cortland QD has been annoying us with lately.

Although it did wonders for my ego, I think the demo line I got is a little short - I was casting into the backing with ease. I'll look into the specs and report on the factory length of the line as it's intended to be sold.

For those of you who are Rio intermediate striper line fans, (count me IN) the running line for this new configuration seems to be the same design.

More to come...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.