3 feather flat wing ! - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 04:58 PM

Exclamation 3 feather flat wing !

Boarmountain, an any one else Im looking for comments,(be nice)
this is my first one. I don't have any of kennys saddles so I hope it look came out o.k. is this BREAKING the rules by NOT using his saddles? does anyone else use the regular stuff? even the HOOK is wrong, BUT it is a 254, so Im leaning in the wright direction!
weel here it is. "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 feather flat wing.1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1299  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2003, 05:20 PM

The fly looks great! I would shorten up the flash a bit.Keep it about 3/4" longer than the saddles.
I have only a couple of Ken's saddles.They are great.however, there are a lot of saddles that can sub. Just make sure they are thin, and the length you want the fly to be.
Cabela's sells saddles under their name by whiting, cost $14.99.
Get Lt ginger and dye them yourself.
BTW , Ken's saddles are by whiting also.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:22 PM

hooks

The 254ss tends to be too heavy to "swim" the fly the right way.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:23 AM
President of CAC

I am thinking of doing some with Clouser eyes to get them down for fishing in Chatham when sand eels are all there is.. I would probably not make them as long but I wonder how those will swim.. have to do a bath tub test. Bob Benson out of Fishing the Cape used to do sand eels with long hackle or grizzly hackle feathers years ago and I know Hawkeye still fished that as his go to fly.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to Joshr
sinking flatwings

Have any of you flatwing experts done any with jigy heads or cone heads? I realize the jigging motion kind of goes against the principal of the flatwing--to let those long thing hackles swim and move in the current on a slow retrieve or swing. But wouldn't an intermittent darting/sinking action with good motion between strips give that sand eel burrowing in the sand look?

I know the Cape Cod Sand Eel pattern is popular up there--sort of a flatwing/clouser hybrid (see: http://saltwaterflies.com/capecodsandeel.html) with clouser eyes like John is considering. But I think a cone or jiggy head would impart better nose diving and darting action.

Thoughts?

--Josh
Old 01-20-2003, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure how much action there would be between strips. The fly would nose dive down , not giving the saddles a chance to move w/ any current. However , if you were "hopping" it along a shallow flat, pausing to let it hit bottom,That would give the saddles a chance to move side to side.Would be interesting..........
Old 01-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to Joshr
conehead flatwing

I should have been clear. Yes, it's for sightfishing flats that I have in mind...exactly.

--JHR
Old 01-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Flats Rat

I came across a pattern a couple of years ago which is basically a flatwing-clouser hybrid but with the hackle tied around the bend so that it stands 90 degrees to the hook shank when the fly is lying down flat. The fly is meant to be fished static. Spot a cruising fish, put the fly out in front - at least 10 feet - and wait. The current (there's always current) moves the feather just like a sandeel with its tail sticking out of the sand. The original pattern had a single, long grizzle tail with a couple of strands of flash, a diamond braid body and a sparse golden olive bucktail colar plus dumbell eyes. I wish I could remember where I saw it - I think it was a salwater flyfishing club newsletter - lots of other good stuff in there.

It worked a treat on some very fussy stripers schooled up at the entrance to the crib a couple of years back which a lot of other boats had tried and given up on. Must remember to tie a few up for this coming season.

Remember that dumbell eyes will invert the hook so you will need to assemble the materials "upside down" if you want to maintain the same color profile.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:43 PM

flatwing hook, the 254ss IS a heavy hook. The one on the fly Idid was a 254 seaguard very light,but still strong I believe KEN did use the 245's in his first book. Ilike the 254 seaguard BUT Ill give the 253's a look over. "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 01-20-2003, 01:44 PM

The 254 w/ seaguard finish and large eye is the hook I use.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:20 PM

Thumbs up

BOARMOUNTAIN, Ive been using them on outher flys, an LIKE them, I have a few hundred in 1/0. flatwing flys have taught me a lesson, on LESS is MORE. after tyin BIG stuff then putting together a few of theses, it's unreal what little you ad, an what COLOR it makes on the fly. think Im HOOKED
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 01-23-2003, 05:05 AM

Thumbs up

Check out he Bear's Den for saddles. I got a super olive saddle for $10. Talk to Scott and he'll order and put aside saddles for you. Also his color range from saddle to saddle is more consistant than the RLS Saddles.
FishHawk
Old 01-23-2003, 01:07 PM

FISHHAWK, will do Ihavent seen scott in about 2 years, I thought he was going to do the Marlboro show. but didn't. Ill taks a run down some afternoon. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.