Thinking about my own migration! - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2002, 09:48 AM

Thinking about my own migration!

Well, it looks like work is going to be very slow for the next month or so, So, I'm thinking about hitting the tropics for a week, either the 1st or 2nd week of January. Not much notice, I know, but I think I'm gonna head south.
Anyone interested in teaming up? Let me know, SOON!
I'm open to suggestions on location. If anyone has any info on last second deals, please, speak up!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Middle Aged Member

When you brought this up last spring I was gung ho. But alas I'm in debt paydown mode and won't do it this year. Two relatively expensive vacations in the last year, a couple of high milage vehicles that need replacing and education debt are doin me in. Good thing is I'll have an extra weeks vacation in 2003 to spend chasing stripers.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply Fred, I know it's tough to get away right after the holiday, but you know me, I'm always on the move. I heard from a couple of the other guys by phone and everyone is in the same boat.
Looks like I may just head down to Fla. visit mom for a couple of days in Merritt Island and drive down to the keys and try to scare up whatever is swimming around down there. Not a great time to hit the keys but, if I'm lucky, maybe some tarpon around the harbor in Key West, possibly some bones on the lower flats, and always plenty of Jacks to play with. If nothing else, I'll spend some time scouting for a Tarpon Trip I'm planning for late May or June, so at least that will be the excuse I give when I come back with the skunk in my luggage.
As for the comming striper season, your post reminded me that you haven't been properly introduced to my boat, we will take care of that early in the season.
Good luck and hope to see you at some of the shows this winter, I'll let you know how I make out when I get back.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Case -

I used to have an annual kick-off meeting down there each year in Jan. I took extra days and headed down thru the keys, and although it wasn't the best time of year there was plenty of action in Jan. Bonefish, 'cuda, and an occasional tarpon busting on pilchards kept it very exciting. Not many bones but some huge smart ones and I was lucky to get into a few bones around Matecumbe Key on southward.

Chat with Capt. Ben Iannotta Jr of Somerset Key about what's happening down there. Bonefish Bob's is a must. There is a serious contingent of flats guys down there as you know, some of the real hardcores we'd ever meet for sure.

My schedule will not allow it this year but please keep me on your list of co-conspirators in future years for March/April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.