U.S. Atlantic Salmon - Status - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2002, 10:40 PM

U.S. Atlantic Salmon - Status

fyi

Interesting read on the status and issues of U.S. atlantic salmon restoration. Very depressing to me since 20 years ago it appeared they were on there way to restoration in New England.

There is a link on this site to another government report on the restoration efforts and interesting information on the Connecticut River.

Can't believe the size of those shad runs on the Connecticut, don't hear much about the fly fishing for them though, whats up with that fishery.

I was just getting into fishing the Delaware shad with the fly rod when I left the east in 1979, but that is a fishery I would definitely target if I was close to the Conneticut river.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/sos/spsyn/af/salmon/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2002, 11:48 PM

PM,

I began fishing the Penobscot River in Maine in the early 1980's. From my vantage point at the Dickson Pool, it was not uncommon, during the height of the salmon run, to see 20-30 fish caught during the course of the morning.

There was a father and son twosome, names Forbes, who fished from a boat anchored out in the current. I never witnessed a day when they did not catch at least one fish.

It was a truly wonderful fishery up until about 1990 when the fish just seemed to disappear.

I fished that river religiously, but I am sad to admit never caught a fish. That's a story for another day.

Now I really am going to sleep.

Regards,

Charles
Old 12-05-2002, 10:01 AM

Charles,
I fished it once in 1978 with my new bride at my side so my fishing time was limited. Then got transferred to Chicago area in 1979, no chance to get back there, became a steelhead fly fisherman.
Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.