Ontario Tribs Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 PM

Talking Ontario Tribs Report

Took last week off for a trip to NY to fish various Lake Ontario tribs for lake run browns and steelhead.

Stopped in Pulaski on Sunday to fish the DSR in a snowstorm. Only 7 cars in the lot! Lots of fresh steelhead in the river of which I landed 2 out of 5 hookups. I also broke my Sage while fighting a fish which cut the day short.

Next 3 days fished the Oak Orchard and various other small creeks in the Rochester area. Highlights included an 11# hen which hammered an egg pattern at my feet and a 15# buck which fell for a wolly bugger at Oak Orchard. Lots of people on the water. All fish released.

Met up w/Fishyboy and Talented Willie for a few more days on the Salmon river in Pulaski. Cold weather and bright sunshine slowed things down considerably. Not many people hooking up but I managed a 17# buck on a 1 for 4 outing on Thursday. Friday and Saturday were really slow with the crowds and I was lucky enough to go 1 for 1 and 1 for 2 on consecutive days.

All in all, loads of fun on the river and a few laughs with some of the finer gentlemen I have had the pleasure to fish with.

Once I figure out how to post pictures I will try to get the photos up.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2002, 02:19 PM

Nice report, I delayed my michigan trip due to low water, no steelhead, and some unannounced honey dews. From my michigan contacts it was a good decision.

Sounds like at least there are numbers of steelies in NY. How about those big brownies, no touches ?

Look forward to the pictures particularly that 15# and 17# we don't get to land many of those out here in log infested tight bended michigan rivers.

Hal
Old 11-11-2002, 02:30 PM

Hal,

Sorry to hear the weather did not cooperate with you. I am still learning this fishery but I think weather impacts it more than any fishery I have ever experienced.

I should have been more specific in my post. The 15# was a big male brown. Have pics too.

I wouldn't say there are a ton of fish in the river right now. The only real chromers I saw were moving up under the shadow of snow on sunday. Lots of browns at the Oak but the standing in line thing gets kind of old quick.

Any ideas on how to get these pics up? Couldn't find instructions in the FAQ section....

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-11-2002, 04:08 PM

No instructions in FAQs, picture must be no greaterthan 100 x 100 height and width, and 30K bytes. Good luck reducing them, I always have problems.

Can't wait to see the pictures though.

Yep agree I would never wait in line to fish unless I had a 75% probability of touching steel on the first couple of casts and I don't think any place can guarantee that. If you can out there let me know.

Hal
Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

BigDave...Da' Man

I was lucky enough to fish with Big Dave, Talented Willie, and the BIG UNIT this past week on New York's best kept secret...the Salmon River. On Wednesday I had fantastic action on my own for some of the monster lake run browns that frequent the various tribs. this time of the year.(I landed seven browns up to 15-20lbs. and lost a number of others when I had to downsize to #16 trout flies inorder to hookup on these heavily pressured fish.)

All I can say is that I must have used up all of my luck on Wednesday for I seemed to have run out of it for the remainder of our stay(Especially on Friday when I was unable to fish due to an incapacitating condition that struck me all day! Beware of Margo and her friend Flo!) During the remainder of our trip I only managed one very brief hookup on a steelhead and one half dead salmon for my effort. Big Dave on the other hand mustered all his concentration, skill, and luck and proceeded to "school" us all in the art of fishing for chrome. His skill at drifting flies far and deep really proved the difference or maybe it was his secret, experimental flies!

All in all I had a good time despite my inability to catch chrome. The happenings of this weekend will forever be etched into my memory. Good Times....Good Times!
Old 11-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You can find free image editors here:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/freeimageeditpc/

PM had it half right; under 30k bytes but the pixels do not have to be 100x 100 as stated (that's the avatar).
Old 11-12-2002, 10:01 AM

Attempting to post pics....

Oak Orchard Brown
Old 11-12-2002, 11:00 AM

Try another "cast" need preciser drift the next time. Technology can be unforgiving like my wife.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:05 AM

No kidding! Spent an hour trying to figure this out last night - very frustrating. Thank god my fishing skills are way ahead of my computer skills
Old 11-12-2002, 11:36 AM

Keep trying, we want to see that big lake run brown, I assume it was lake run being that big. If its a river brown I will be on my way there soon I can assure you.

Good luck !
Old 11-14-2002, 08:35 AM

BigDave,

Thanks for the pictures. They were truly awesome steelies and great lakes run browns. Now is the time for the big brownies in the tribs. Lets not post those pictures up here, don't want to get our PNW fly fishing colleagues and big brown trout hunters to excited and interested you know.

Best

Hal
Old 12-14-2002, 07:32 AM
removed_by_request

BD,

You owe it to yourself to fish the Ontario (Province) of Superior.

Some truly wild fishing in a setting not to be matched.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:44 AM

Yeah and that canadian hospitaility, exchange rate, and beer is also nice.

Superior country, Say Yes.

PM Out

P.S. Bring your camera, you will defintely catch more great scenery photos then steelhead but it will be memorable.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:22 AM
removed_by_request

The Steel run is a matter of timing, if you hit it right usually May even June you will have a ball. Nice thing about one river St. Marys is you never know what you will catch. I have caught a spawning King and a stud Rainbow all in the same drift, this was in July. Could not manage to get one Atlantic to hit, but I will be back.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:00 PM

Yeah I have got to get to the St Marys, two aborted trips there, did not get past you know what Michigan LP rivers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.