September RI Clave, Kayak & Shore Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 07:56 AM

Thumbs up September RI Clave, Kayak & Shore Fishing

How many are interested in a RI Clave either weekend of Sept.21 or Sept.28?
My proposal is: with kayaks put in at the parking lot on Bay St. in downtown Watch Hill. Launch in Little Narragansett Bay, paddle and fish out around the end of NapatreePoint, fish back to the short jetty behind the beach club in Watch Hill. Those exhausted from catching fish can take out, and several guys can carry their yaks over the dunes by the trail, back to their cars in the parking lot. Those wishing to continue can proceed to Watch Hill Point, stay out of range of the surfcasters on the point, proceed on to Watch Hill Beach. There you can take out , and the kayaks transported to the right of way access, which is off Atlantic Ave. It is only a couple of hundred yards from the beach. Those who really are inshape can reverse their route.
In the latter part of September this route will put you into some of the best fishing to be had on the entire Northeast Coast. Fish to be had are Bass, Blues, and False Albacore, with a spattering of Bonita. The area between Napatree and Watch Hill usually has many schools of bass and false albacore rooming around.
For those shore bound Napatree offers the best shot at bass with the occasional foray in the surf of false albacore. Please believe me when I say October for false albacore is too late. Bass fishing, in my opinion, also peaks at this time. I firmly believe that large bass come through the Cape Cod Canal, then go out around Block Island,over to Montaup, and down the eastern shore of Long Island NY. For some reason there is usally fish to be seen between Napatree and Wastch Hill. Of course those of you shorebound there is always Weekapaug, Quonochotaug, East Beach, Charlestown. This is my second attempt to post, the first I tried to have a poll, made a mistake, it went into cyber space. ArtB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2002, 12:19 PM

Art, I'm all over it. Either of those work for me. You call the dates, I learned my lesson. Although I plan on getting down there in Oct. for a last blast trip as well. I might get the beach sticker again if it will help with the watch hill beach yak recovery. I could shuttle all the way back to the Weekapaug lot. Maybe I'll even go for a bath in the yak again
Thanks for taking the initiative, Art.
or should I say
Rhody Hardtail Clave Meister
Old 08-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Flats Rat

Me Too............

Sing me up too Art!

I bought one of those moon-wheel yak totes and its cool so towing up the beach is no problem - it takes apart and fits inside the hatch on my Tarpon.

Any thoughts on how the tides might affect date choice vis-a-vis current direction / time of day. Either week-end works for me whatever since I'm only a couple of hours away.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
The 28th is best for me. But, we should set up when the fishing is best. I'd love to help meister, but I'm heading back to school this fall so my schedule is full to the rim.

Nick
Old 08-14-2002, 07:55 PM
_

Smile Napatree is the place for me!

If I can make it I'll definitely be there. I have plans for the 21st but may be able to do the 28th. It's very "iffy" so do what works best for everyone else. Hope I can make it!

Q
Old 08-14-2002, 10:01 PM

I just spent a half hour typing some info, and my provider earthlink broke the connection so I lost my reply.
First we have got to figure which is the best weekend for the most guys. Second are you going to camp or use a motel? We will need a list of who is going to kayak, and who is going to be shore bound. I will have my inflatable, with my 2 hp outboard, have to bring a rubber glove so I won't get a shock, I don't think I will get the time to pull the flywheel before then. If there is guys that are shorebound I will leave the inflatable on the roof. It depends on the weather, as always. The area I propose that you fish at the time frame weekend Sept.21, or 28 sure have plenty of fish around, if like other years when it winds down by the beginning of Oct. Adrian it will be good to meet you, and that kayak carrier sounds like it would help, I wonder how it will track in the sand thu. Can you let the air out of the tires?:hehe: Quentin are you going to use a flyrod this year? or are you going to use the spinning gear and out fish me. Either way it is OK by me just have fun, and I am sure you will. Jim, set it up so we can find out what weekend is the best for the most. Need to know who is shore bound, and who is kayaking. Whether camping, or staying in a motel. Also we should find out who has a cell phone. It is helpful as you found out at the tail end last year. An after thought, Bonita are off Misquamicut now.:hehe: ArtB Stay tuned Dave P Good to hear you are still alive and well.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:18 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by artb
Quentin are you going to use a flyrod this year? or are you going to use the spinning gear and out fish me.
Spinning gear??? What's that???? :hehe: I've been using the flyrod almost exclusively. The only time I use spinning gear now is when I'm fishing with someone else in my boat. Don't worry, I haven't been outfishing anybody lately!

Q
Old 08-14-2002, 10:23 PM

Sept.23,2001

Rock to rock fish, with a few birds thrown in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	napatree2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	730  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:27 PM

Sept 21,2001

A guy from NY, I took pictures I broke my rod, and didn't have a spare. still Sept.23,2001
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	napatree1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	731  
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Flats Rat

My Stats

Art,

Any week-end is good for me.

I will schlep daily from CT - I'm figuring ` 2 hours so no problem.

I will have Yak.

Cell Phone.

A couple of spare 9wts in case anyone has a breakage.

Special fly for the Meista'

Lookin' good!
Old 08-15-2002, 05:12 AM

Thumbs up

The FishHawk is in on this one. The 28th would be great or anyone you pick.
This is what we need a good old fashioned clave . FishHawk:hehe:
Old 08-15-2002, 08:07 AM

Art, Great pics of Napatree point.
I'll find that date poll you lost in cyberspace and we can at least get a firm date, then we can talk camp/motel and yak/boat/shore and food.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 AM

I'm in for either weekend. No kayak but asuming we can keep it running well Mike and I can bring our boat with room for 1 or 2. As far as lodging I'd prefer camping.

Gregg
Old 08-15-2002, 09:06 AM
Here fishy fishy

I'm on this like stink on a monkey!

I can do either 9/21 or 9/28. I'll come down from south shore MA for the day. Got a 'yak, cell phone & room in my car for anyone in my area that needs a ride (unfortunately, I cannot fit a 2nd yak on my cartop though).

Tod
Old 08-15-2002, 10:46 AM
Middle Aged Member

As of now, either date works for me so I'll refrain from voting. I'll be sure to bring the yak this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.