Quebec Atlantics - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2002, 03:35 PM

Quebec Atlantics

Anybody ever do the Gaspe thing. I am considering it for next summer. I know about the lottery thing on November 1st. Have any tips on how to do it cheap or rivers that are more promising than others. Also looking for information on were I could fly too and rent a car if thats posible?
Anything will help.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2002, 06:45 AM

I have experience with the ZEC office that serves the St Jean, Dartmouth, and York. I've never bothered with the early drawing. There are always spots available during the 48 hour draw and there's often other water which you can simply sign up for when you contact the ZEC office in advance (like a month or so before you leave). There is also some fine water that is unlimited but is never, in my experience, truly crowded. Give Ann Smith a call at the ZEC office in Gaspe. She's incredibly helpful. You can fly right into the town of Gaspe and rent a car there. I assume that things are similar at other ZEC offices, but I've never dealt with them.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:35 PM

Gaspe Rivers

JR. Spey
Thanks for the info. What is the size of the Dartmouth, York and St Jean? Are they a good size for the smaller two handed rods around 7 or 8 weights?
thanks
Old 08-22-2002, 02:42 PM

A lot depends on where in each river you end up fishing. For instance, on Zone 1 of the York I was fine with my 14' 9-10 weight. However, when fishing Zone 4 not very far upstream I felt like I had more rod than I needed for the width of the water. The truth is that many pools on each river can probably be very effectively fished with a single-handed rod, but 12 or 13 footers would also do fine. I only saw the St. Jean near the mouth and didn't fish it because we were too early for that river (we fished the first few days of June) but it would seem to be the same deal there. If I do it again next year, I'll have both my 14' and 12' rod ready. I'd say the water I fished varied from between 50'-120' wide with a few spots, like Still Pool on the York in Zone 4 (pool #19) even narrower yet. I think anything between 12-14' rod will do you well. As I proofread this it seems I have a lot of verbiage without saying a whole lot. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.