Capt Ray - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2002, 07:11 PM

Capt Ray

Hi
In the current Salt Water Fly Fishing magazine Aug-Sept 2002 issue is a interesting fly desighed and tied by Capt.Ray Stachelek.
his desigh has a very unique hook feature that I have never seen before, and the name of the fly is Stealth Wing Streamer.
There is no question why he called it what it is, see for yourself.
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2002, 01:40 PM

Joe- I saw Ray's hook idea at the Newport tying fair this spring and I've been looking for double hooks like they use for salmon but not having much luck finding any that would last in the salt.
The salmon style would catch more fish 'cause of the point to popint spread of the hook being less than with Ray's design. After last nite one point was all I needed the fish were weaving the hook in and out so many times that several I hade to cut the fly off and remove it backwards- they must've been hungry.
I also checked the website to see if it mentioned tying in the hackles (which the article didn't) and that part of the pattern is missing there also , and I can't remember if he yied the hackles on both sides of the hook or not. Ron
Old 07-07-2002, 04:23 PM

Here's their web thread from from Saltwater Fly Fishing Magazine.

http://flyfishingmagazines.com/sff_feature_024.shtml

As Ron alluded, there are steps missing from their web site.

Flies without hour glass eyes, you need to do both sides. Example: four staddles on top, four on the bottom. Flies with hour glass eyes will act like a Clouser pattern in the water. Just need to place them all on one side.

Tie some flatwings using this technique and crab patterns too.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:32 PM

Ray- Do you have a pattern for the little crabs in the bay now?
I tried one of your patterns in Ray's fly colors tied like a Ray's fly and found it to foul less than mine normally do.
Still looking for a double salmon hook type saltwater resistant hook- the technique is sound. Ron
Old 07-07-2002, 07:28 PM

Ron -

You can change the angle on the spread of the hooks too. Those were tied obviously at 180 degrees. If you epoxy the hooks, you can bend them at less than 180 degrees, say something like a 90 degree angle. The more you bend them, the more you might fouled hooked the bottom though. Don't know of any salmon hooks that suit this purpose, but I do know tiers use the single hooks to tie saltwater flies.

With the lady crab hatches, it's almost impossible to reproduce the size of them unless you go to a fresh water type hook. Than again the size would be 3/16 inch. Hook set would be a problem. If bass are nymphing the hatch, I've had no problem using a small ultra hair olive Clouser if they are in the right feeding mode.

There should be more and more hatches appearing each morning south of Prudence to the bridges and the Sakonnet River basin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.