bluegill rekindled - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2002, 07:54 AM

bluegill rekindled

The last three afternoons I have rekindled my love of bluegills. I have been fishing out of my yak trying to get used to it for a trip to the Cape for stripers. The small ponds that I am fishing are loaded with bluegills. They have sucked down, slashed at, ignored, and jumped over my poppers with abandon.
I'm listening to a Frank Zappa tune in which the ending refrain is "How could I be such a fool?" This simple line represents me and the bluegill. In my quest for big fish I had forgotton the fish that turned me into a fly fisherman in the first place. I know its been said before but if these guys were 5 plus pounds I wouldn't get past the nearest pond. Oh ya a 1/2 pond bluegill can move a yak.
shadfreak or sould I say bluegillrekindled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2002, 08:45 AM
_

They are a blast to catch, especially on floating flies. It sometimes looks like a tip-off in a basketball game: a bunch of fish gather around under the fly and a couple of them jump up and try to get it

Q
Old 07-01-2002, 09:32 AM

I've been having great success with a #12 soft hackle this year. An amber glass bead, peacock herl body, and 2 turns of natural colored Emu feather. Fish it it with short strips, and get ready to practice your strip sets .
Old 07-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Fly chucker

If we're using a basketball analogy here, then some of the bluegills I've hooked this year are probably named Shaquille. :hehe:

My hot fly for these huge 'gills has been a green/yellow frog popper in a size 4, complete with split hackle tail and rubber legs on the sides. I usually catch them when I'm casting to bass structure, but it's not disappointing when I realize that I've hooked a bluegill. Like Shadfreak said, these are the guys who have gotten so many of us started in the first place.

Not only will they move a kayak, but I've had a couple start moving my 11 foot john boat. Big shoulders and big attitude! A great combination.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
Funny to see this. I always thought of Bluegill as junk-fish and not worth my time...

Of course, I never got one that required much effort to pull in, so they must just grow 'em bigger around you guys!

Personally, I would take a perch over a bluegill any day!
Old 08-14-2002, 05:03 AM

Well as a newbie to the flyfishing world, RTF is going after bluegill as one of his first try's. Now if I can just fiqure out all the language slang you folks are slinging around I'll be fine

Last edited by RTF; 08-14-2002 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.