Fly Fishing Forum banner

Piker bunny (swap entry)

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
This is my pike swap entry. It's very similar to the bunny leech designed by Barry Reynolds. The only differences are the use of clouser eyes for weight and the use of ice chenille without the palmered hackle. Here's the recipe:

Hook: Streamer, 2XL, size 1/0
Thread: 3/0, color to match pattern
Weight: Dumbell eyes
Tail/overbody: Rabbit strip, tied in Zonker style
Body: Ice chenille
Throat: A few strands of flash, color to match pattern

The swap entry was the white fly pictured in the middle. This fly is effective for several other species as well. The chartruese bunny on the left is great for largemouth, and the black bunny on the right is a pretty good night fly for stripers.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, these Zonker strips are 1/4", also referred to in many shops and catalogs as "Magnum" strips. They're hard to come by around here.......my local shop is an Orvis dealer, and Orvis only carries the standard 1/8". I had to go to another shop and special order them.

They are available through many catalogs, including Cabelas and Feather Craft.

#4 ·
Thanks Mark. I thought they looked wider than the ones I have. I've seen the wider strips at one of the shops in my area, or perhaps it was at Dick's Sporting Goods (the West Springfield store has a surprisingly good selection of tying materials). I also have a package of Spirit River zonker strips that's marked 1/8" but is really more like 3/16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.