***New Fly Design*** - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 09:51 PM

***New Fly Design***

There's been a myriad of contributions from some very talented fly tiers and shutterbugs here on this board lately.

Keeping up with the spirit of intuitiveness, I have spent copious amounts of time, developing a new series of fly patterns you might find helpful. I've also taken into consideration a post that appeared last week about taken photos. Seems that the best way to portray a fly is in its real life natural environment -water.

Here is a pic of my new Fluorocarbon Herring Spread Fly photographed underwater.

Flourcarbon Herring Spread Fly

As you know flourcarbon is expensive. This fly shouldn't be used on angry bluefish.

Tying sequence.

Varivas 1/0 Hook, mono thread, tie in small amounts of #40 flourcarbon about 6 inches long. Add several strands of Mirage blue flashabou. Several strands of gray Polarflash. Top off with a small bunch of #20 flourcarbon, than some #10 flourcarbon to finish the profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2002, 08:14 AM
BB5 Survivor

Ray --

Please, PLEASE put the cap BACk on the Softex....back away
slowly from the tying table....carefully walk outside and breathe some fresh air for at least 1-2 hours. Do not, repeat DO NOT operate any heavy machinery for the next 24-48 hours!

(I hope the stripers return soon....I know one Capt. who needs
some time on the water!!!!)

--jared
Old 03-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Fluff

Ray, regardless of the high expense of putting these units together perhaps this is the pattern to apply several strands of Pearl Flashabou in the middle, graduating through the Mirage color to the dorsal aspect where peacock flash mentioned the other day could add attraction.

Copyright application submitted

Last edited by DFix; 03-08-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:42 AM
Middle Aged Member

Hey! I can tie that. Can I substitute 40# mono for the Flouro?
Old 03-15-2002, 10:37 PM

There was a little latent humor (pun intended) in this message from the start. After all fluorocarbon material is marketed by its disappearance underwater. The refracting index of this material they say is very close to water. Obviously the first impression was to laugh at this underwater photo. It appears that the fly is very very sparsely dressed.

Those of us much deeper into fly design note - That what appears to us under the tying lamp, often does not look the same under water conditions. Some people may look at this photo and say the material is missing. I say it's there, but latent in nature. What one person sees in a photograph, others might not see. Images of what I see in a fishing situation might be positive to me or a few others. Others might not notice the same experience. Than again, others might see what I may have missed. Our positive images and ideas in fly construction might be negative to others too. Their negative ideas might be positive to me or a few others. The experience is important here. How others view the situation depends on the proficiency to understand the problem. My philosophy here, is to help others analyze a proper thought process, decoding information and collimating visual perceptions in the design of flies. This will produce a more educated and talented fly tier in tuned with reading the water.

Is there an advantage using this stuff or not, or is it all just hype? Try this, tie an all fluorocarbon fly without using any flash material than fish it. It might answer some very interesting questions about this material. You'll be surprised of your findings. Discovery should be part of the formula for a successful fly pattern.

My head hurts now!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Flats Rat

Well,now you mention it Ray, I was going to say something about glass minows but everyone else thought it was a joke so I didn't :eyecrazy: Maybe not such a crazy idea after all - aren't those critters around this time of year? Maybe a a small one on a dropper?
Old 03-16-2002, 03:48 AM

Thumbs up

Ray- I keep looking at the fluorocarbon fly and thinkits a great idea for the glass minnows. Its also a good way to use the Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line that everyone has been having trouble with- its less expensive than the others and breaks readily when used as a leader but for fly tying it would be perfect. Ron
Old 03-16-2002, 04:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ray, strangely I agree with all this apparent 'madness'...
Perhaps I might never tie such a "fly" but your point is profoundly true and this basis has been among my best weapons for stripers on the flats and one I rarely talk about. So I'll stop there. (c'mon I blab everything else!)

It came to me a different way. As a teen, I was inspired by a sumi-e artist who demonstrated that in this art form what is unpainted is as important as what it painted - somtimes more. I used to write C full time, and those who write code can relate that logic contructs diplay this simple elegance too. This lesson has extended into my writing and my thinking patterns, although I still tend to "overpaint" when I talk

In nature, as in the universe the unpainted is truly as important as the painted, and 99.9% of striper flies are waaaaay over painted. When you hold a silverside, grass shrimp, anchovy, squid, flounder, lady crab, or a live inshore sand eel in your hand, they know all about this because it means life or death.

At times the most alarming, contrasted, disruptive thing you can throw is the right fly. At other times you need to be one with the surroundings to trick the big smart bass. Before adapting such tactics I hated the dog days of July... now they are among my favorite times of the year for summer stripers.

Good topic Ray!
Old 03-16-2002, 03:34 PM

Juro, it is a fascinating topic for discussion with certainly many roads to follow. It also lends a great deal to our imagination, perception, and on the water visual experiences.

Let me cast this scenario on the waters of discussion. Suppose fish use the medium of water for sight, like humans use air to see. Water would seem invisible to them too. The impurities in the water like algae, and other suspended particles, make us believe they see it. But they really don't. What we see are actually effects not the causes. Striper's for example see about 50 feet in clear water. Why can't they see further under clear condition? Not because of clear water. Their eyes are design to focus in a peripheral direction like wide eye lenses thus making it difficult to focus on greater distances. Their hearing and smell senses take care of any long range situations.

As a fly tier/fisher, all we have to do at certain times is make a suggestion to a fish. When baitfish seem to blend into the environment, its not to make your fly color stand out, but make it visible by showing some sort of motion. Fish see effects (motion) when objects blend into the environment.

Like Juro stated about slower and more difficult fish conditions. Those are the more gratifying catches you remember.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:00 PM

Cool OUCH !! I can't see anything !! My eyes are deicieving me!

WOW RAY !!
Have you reached "Stealth nirvana" ?? If we can't see it how in the world is a big lipsipping striper gonna! I am totally impressed with your interpitation of "Sparse" the eyes need to be Jungle cok to give a true life like movement :eyecrazy:

Are you going to teach a class specifically on the FLURO Fly !! I'm going to have to add apillow to it and have a couple of feathers go flat to give it the illusion of a even bigger bait!
Remember "go flat you'll never go back" I can't wait until it's written up in all the magazines as the most inovative illusionistic fly of the century.

TIE ONE ON !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.