Rod building question - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 07:39 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mean Gene
Cool Rod building question

Although I've tied flies for over 30 years I've never built a rod. I think that needs to change! I want to build a 9' 6", or 10', 6wt rod. I do a lot of fishing out of float tubes and want a longer rod to work with. Anyway here's the question: which blank would you suggest? Keep in mind that I have one income and three kids LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2002, 07:23 PM

Mean Gene, Welcome to the wonderful world of rod building. My 1st rod, a 5wt is spinning away behind me as I type this. I cannot offer any expert advice but I can tell you what I went with.

Check out the articles on the rod rack section of the site. Actually the site is pretty slim at the moment but there are several rod projects in progress. I went with a hook and hackle blank as a way to save cash, figuring I might make a few mistakes on the first rod. Everything went pretty smoothly and I'll probably go with a St. Croix ultra ledgend for the 7wt I'm building next. I got some advice from a couple of shops in the area here and feel I should give them my future business. I have bought other items from Hook and Hackle in the past and they have been good to deal with and delivered as advertised, maybe something to check out. Someone else on this board said you should probably build the rod you want to own in the end. That's sound advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.