Bone Fishing in Costa Rica... - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2001, 09:20 AM
Recent Member

Bone Fishing in Costa Rica...

Hello Gentlemen or most of you are...

I'm planning a trip next year to Costa Rica to flyfish their flats for bonefish.

I have never planned a bonefishing expedition and here are my options.

1. Two week trip
2. I want to go to Costa Rica
3. Money isn't a problem
4. One of the members of the troop speaks fluent flawless Spanish.
5. Flies (like those little crab things?)

All info is appreciated.

Angie

And yes I'm posting this in the Bonefish Category...
Old 07-18-2001, 10:14 AM

Angie, I was in Costa Rica for a couple of weeks last winter. I was on the Pacific coast, so I don't have any firsthand info on the east coast, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't much(if any) of a bonefish fishery in Costa Rica. The east coast does have good populations of snook, tarpon, and other gamefish, and the Pacific coast is famous for it's offshore fishing and also has inshore fishing for Roosterfish and miscellaneous Jacks.

If this is to be a trip to fish solely for bonefish, I think you might do well to look elsewhere(Belize or Mexico perhaps?). If you're going on vacation and hoping to do some fishing too, then Costa Rica could be the ticket. It's a beautiful country and the locals(Ticos) are incredibly friendly.

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2001, 10:13 PM

Angie, Los Roques is a premier destination. Small bones, but plenty. Ithink that The Fly Shop in Redding, CA.(flyshop.com) probably knows most about this place. I have a buddy who flew to the capitol of CR. and then took a small plane there. He stayed in someones extra room, and hired guides on their days off. So it can be done fairly cheaply too.You have a cool website.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:40 AM

I really have nothing to offer you but thanks for,
"Torture the free range cattle by getting Orvis Boy drunk and telling him he's a cowboy"

Anytime you need a place to stay here in the east let me know - you're my sister's long lost twin!!
Old 10-25-2001, 08:26 PM

Uhhh...Los Roques is in Venesuela. Sure you don't want to go there instead?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.