Unique Hair - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 08:44 AM
President of CAC

Unique Hair

I forgot to mention that while at last night Fly tying Nat showed me a "new" material that has just come out. He had only one color..blue and was waiting for a shipment of the other colors.. but this material is identical to Super Hair or Ultra hair only a thinner gauge.. Looks like it may work real well on the famous Juro Sand eel. Has anyone else seen or heard about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2001, 11:02 AM
Middle Aged Member

I bought some white, olive and chartruese a couple of months ago, specifically with "real eels" in mind. Scott at the Bears Den found it out west somewhere, a Utah ff show I believe. I've been meaning to mention the stuff. Scott showed me some bunker and herring patterns tied with it - pretty impressive. The white is a real brilliant white so I don't know about using it for the real eel - I tend to like something a bit more suble like the Superhair polar bear.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:43 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...length?

..what's the useable length? and will they comb out and blend a la EnrichoP style?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:12 PM
President of CAC

Pete... It is the same length as the superhair and I think it will work well with blending... Fred.. you can blend the white.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:55 PM
Wanna be striper bum

All,

If the fibers are very fine then you may want to consider the material's tendency to foul on the hook of a fly. I tied a bunch of clousers and some Mushmouth flies (juvie herring type of pattern) using EP fibers last winter and I learned my lesson this season. I find that the EP fibers foul far too often for my tastes. The material is decent when you place it in your patterns in such a way that it will not foul. But nonetheless I would not use EP fibers in any long deep eel variations.

So, tie up some prototypes and then swim them around in the sink and see how the new materials behave. If you think that the material will foul too often then save yourself the pain of tying 20 flies with it. They may be flies that you will never use! I hate fishing with flies that foul - especially in low light conditions.

Half of the fun of tying is experimentation - enjoy.

-Mike
Old 12-13-2001, 06:22 PM
Middle Aged Member

If memory serves me right (I've got to start tying) the Unique hair is much closer to superhair than the EP stuff. Kinda like a kinky Fishhair.

I tried the EP fibers for real eels to use on my first rip trip. Thought it was cool stuff. What a pain in the butt.

Last edited by FredA; 12-13-2001 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:54 PM
Flats Rat

If you look at EP's flies, you'll notice that full length fibers are only used at the tail section. The rest of the fly is "built" using folded batches of fibre and subsequently trimmed to shape.

The new stuff sounds interesting. I have ultra hair but its the original material and pretty stiff. Great for barracuda flies though.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:39 PM
President of CAC

Doogue and Fred.. yes.. It is not like EP fibers at all... It seems to me by feeling it that it will foul no more than the usual super hair.. I know when the super hair does foul I can comb it out. It helps that I have epoxied the head which gives the comb some foundation to pull hard.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff. I've been hunting out a few unique colors as well, maybe I need to go check out the custom dying at Bear's Den.

In any case, I bought nearly every color of EP fiber when it came out. Here's what I found out:

- no good for long fibers that requires it's own 'body' like the real
eel
-> parachutes when casting if used that way
-> fouls like mad " " "
- excellent for hi-tie style flies where the fine hair is formed into
matuka style ridge top and bottom and trimmed
- great colors!

That being said I still have most of the original $50 investment in my material stash.

Another similar material is kinkyfibre, falls in the same category but a bit more rigid. Both are not suitable for the sand eel pattern.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:55 PM
Flats Rat

Juro, I have most of my stash of EP stuff left over as well. Maybe a Tag Sale is in order
Old 12-14-2001, 04:57 AM

Wink

I bought a package of the Bear's Den Ultra Hair house brand and found that it had a tendency to act much like bucktail. It has a tendency to splay out when you put tension on it. The package I bought cost a dollar. I perfer Ultra hair over the house brand. However , Scott is a great guy he sepcial ordered a yellow saddle neck for me shich was just what I wanted. Great fly shop with fantastic personal service.
FishHawk
Old 12-20-2001, 11:44 AM
Middle Aged Member

Finally got around to tying a Realeel with the Unique Hair. Picked up some "smoke" to blend with the white to tone it down.

First impression was that it was just a finer superhair.
The fibers are actually about the same diameter as Superhair. But there is a blend of straight and wavy fibers and the amplitude of the waves is less than the Super. The end result is a limper, less coarse material that just feels finer. Comparing the white Unique to the white super - the super fibers are translucent and the unique are opaque.

I like the stuff.
[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	768000.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	45  
Old 12-20-2001, 12:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I gotta get some! Nice job tapering that fly Fred.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:53 PM

Hi Everyone.
I've come fairly late to this thread. I'm looking for a long hair 7-10" in lenth to tie Collie Dogs. The recipe calls for the hair from the back leg of a Collie dog. This is difficult to get if the dog does not object the owner usually does. I have tried Mega Hair but it catches on the hook and tangles. has anyone tried Yak ?
Who is the maker of superhair and does it tangle. Do all man made fibres tangle ?

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 12-21-2001, 03:19 PM
Flats Rat

Willie, I found that the Collie Dog always tangled - I think its inherent in the design of the fly where very long curly hair is tied in at the eye of the hook. Bozo Hair or Yak might work but finding the optimum stiffness to avoid tangles yet still retain mobility is probably a trial and error thing. I never caught a fish on a Collie Dog but have had a couple in WillieGuns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.