Pungos - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2001, 09:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Pungos

Anyone one have a report on the overall salt water performance of the Pungos? I am a big and very inflexible-physicaly that is- guy and I like the cocpit size on them. How do they do in the surf and how manuverable are they. Also, can you make decent time in them? They seem as if they may be a little pokey judging from the width. Love 'em in fresh water though.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:05 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
have cake and eat it too...

Chris...I've spent many happy hours in the Pungo...and in the Manteo...and quite a few others...'tough to have your cake and eat it too but...(especially when your hands are intimately filled with the lightest paddle you can afford...)
The Pungo cockpit is great for easier in/out.
The cockpit will let in water if you're in waves/surf.
There are "skirts" (full & partial) to help keep the wet stuff out.
The broad beam makes for a stable ride and minimizes the big dump...'also makes for a slower boat when compared with all the "sleek" beauties that are harder to enter/exit and much easier to invert.
As a rule, I launch/recover on the inside (bay, channel, etc)...the world quickly changes when you attempt to negotiate the surf with a pricey SWFF outfit secured in a deck "rod-holder"...the picture of de-masted sailboats comes to mind...I'll do surf, but not before I batten down the hatches and accept the fact the waves will dictate most of the game...a fine line between the thrill of victory and the agony of unintentional hydro-inversion.
The speed and "performance" is somewhat related to hull design and the engine.
You are the engine!
Life if full of trade offs and compromises...
You might consider the Spring YakAttack...and also the Spring dealer free-paddle-days to show off their stuff and launch the new season. A chance to be one with compromise and find your centre of gravity!
If you can get down to the Cape, I know a semi-secret place where you can sample from the buffet and become "educated" to the point of being financially jeopardized and/or launched into the Land of Yak! (from which there is no escape...and I wouldn't have it any other way!) (YakatyYak,don't talk back!)
Embrace the Yak...Be one with the Yak...Be the Yak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2001, 02:25 AM
Flats Rat

Wink

Pete, expect me to be paying a visit in March '02. I dont think I can wait 'till May when all those open paddle days are on. I want to be paddling beforte the spring clave wich could happen in April - lets hope - or maybe even earlier - who knows. Then we can celebrate my birthday in style!!!!!
Old 12-09-2001, 08:54 AM

One of things I considered when regarding Pungo's before I bought my Manteo:

1. Big cockpit is great for all sizes getting in & out. Regular cockpit isn't that tough.
2. Paddling through any kind of surf, you're going to get wet.
3. A wet exit wearing a spray skirt and all your other gear is not a big deal but, still a pain in the butt.
4. A huge spray skirt is going to be much harder to move around in the water with after a wet exit.

Conversely (sp?) look at JimW's experience pumping out his yak after slamming through the surf in Rhodey - no big deal for him but something I wouldn't want to deal with.

Of course, my intention in buying a yak was to get from point A to B as fast as possible in any surf condition. If you're intending to be out trolling and fishing from a yak, then the Pungo is most probably the best ride for you.

Just food for thought.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:43 AM
Yak Guy

Chris I have put close to 200 hrs in my Pungo and love it.It handles the rough stuff great.Its speed is very good for its length and stabilty.I paddle stroke for stroke with guys in longer supposedly faster yaks.As for fishing the salt thats where I spent 3/4 of my time.I have not done any surf launches yet.But if I were to fish in spots like that i would use a Sit On Top(SOT) any way.Santa is going to bring me one.The Pungo is very easy to get around in small water and performs as good in big water.Its just a great all around yak.But if ya want to spend most of your time in the surf zone buy a SOT and a dry suit.
joev
Old 12-12-2001, 07:54 PM
Flats Rat

Wink

Interesting, since I'm "in the market". I was leaning toward the Pungo based upon price/performance in terms of getting from A to B. Then I read an article about cold water yaking and the dangers of Hypothermia. The message went something like ... " you're gona get dumped at some point, so you better be dressed apropriately! I've been looking at the WS Tarpon SOT - reports are very good other than weight.

I've also looked at dry suits but the good ones will more than double my budget. I'd be interested in any ideas.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's interesting that there is such a range of usage for these human-powered craft modelled after the Inuit invention during modern times. I guess I'd be the Eskimo that needs to sling the thing over the shoulder and hoof it over the tundra to a primo patch of arctic char water. Instead of the long range hunter going across the pole for walrus.

Someone tell me if I am just imagining things here...

but I am envisioning a transport from one flats vantage point to another, with no issues portaging over long dry flats to find the right water and/or get home on time when the tides aren't cooperating. I am thinking about having no issues tethering the craft to the wading belt and stalking if I want to be mobile, and not really thinking about the fact that I have my ride tied to me. I am thinking based on the way I fish the flats that I will need to get into the thing with water that may have risen to waist level or more. I do not plan to fish from it at all. I want it to be anchored easily and reliably without carrying a big anchor. I can't wait to do the exchange program with Sean for my Buck's Bag river pontoon rig, which he can use in PNW rivers.

I know that everyone has different requirements but someone hit me with some opinions!
Old 12-13-2001, 08:08 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Juro,
As far as getting in the yak in deeper water, I find my SOT real easy to just hop into (I guess itsonto ). I have never tried getting into a normal yak in deep water. I feel like it may be tricky. I know that it can be done, since people fall out over their heads and get in, yet I don't think I would want to have to go through that every time I got out. I still am looking for a way to have extending legs that drop out of my kayak, lift me up 4 feet, and provide a perfect spotting tower. :hehe:
Nick
Old 12-13-2001, 08:52 AM

J,

I think the idea of the storable wheels to aid in crossing flats is something I'm gonna work on this winter.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:23 AM
President of CAC

Jeff... I am considering that to wheel my Tribalance down from CAC to Ridgevale Beach instead of roofing it.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:43 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Wheels

Wheels

Wheels

Wheels

and WHEELS

I had already begun researching the attachable wheel option for long hauls over sand and the like.

~Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.