LABOR Day Weekend - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2001, 11:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
LABOR Day Weekend

Got the green light from the wife to head back to the cape Labor Day Weekend. It'll be only my second chance to get down and experience this type of flyfishing. I'll be heading out late Friday afternoon for a few days of fishing. I've got the whole week off so no need to hurry home. Who's gonna be around Saturday, Sunday, Monday maybe even Tuesday? Sounded like a crew is meeting at Chatham Light on Saturday morning, mind if I get in?. I figure I'll set up the tent somewhere Saturday afternoon and catch up with whoever is around for the weekend. Maybe a rip rider or something if that is the concensus. Let me know what's up.
Chris 8)

Hey Darryl, what are you doing this weekend? drop me a note on the side. NO EXCUSES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2001, 07:45 AM

My father's visiting from "striper land" (Jersey) and I'd certainly like to correct that perception so we'll be heading down Cape next weekend as well. Haven't decided on a day but with 3 to choose from I figured I'd let weather/tides choose. Although the traffic back on Monday night is traditionally brutal.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:09 PM
President of CAC

I will be in Chatham all next weekend. Light house, south Beach and Monomoy ..probably
Old 08-27-2001, 08:25 AM

Let's hook up! Chris, is your son coming with?
Old 08-27-2001, 08:31 PM

Yup, Ian is coming he'll be spin fishing. I don't recognize you're handle who is this? We'll probably get a tent site somewhere if there are any available. Where you gonna be Saturday am?
Old 08-27-2001, 08:54 PM

I'm IN
Arrive later on Friday PM and will not have time to pick up a "stripping" basket.
All I need is one of the "WallMart specials" and I can cut it to fit.
John. I plan to meet up with you at the light , around 4:30AM?.
If it's possible for you to do so, could you pick up a basket for me? and confirm "gathering time".
I will sing.... along Chatham road.... as promised
Old 08-27-2001, 10:16 PM

Just reserved a tent site at the closest place I could find, Scussett Beach State Res.. 0430 at Chatham Light seems to be the concensus. Anyone else want to chime in. I've never done rip rider/ monomoy only the beach at the light at the spring clave so we'll need some guidance. Ian is pumped. Let's fish!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:27 PM

Striblue (StrideRight/IronMan!)...Do you suppose your "StriperThumb" will have healed by this weekend?!
I've heard there may be some fish in the neighborhood so I'll be doing the RipRider Saturday/Sunday...
'Went to Nauset the wet way...looks very promising! Talktoyoulater!
Old 08-28-2001, 01:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
FrenchCreek (08-27-2001 08:54 p.m.):
I'm IN
Arrive later on Friday PM and will not have time to pick up a "stripping" basket.
All I need is one of the "WallMart specials" and I can cut it to fit.
John. I plan to meet up with you at the light , around 4:30AM?.
If it's possible for you to do so, could you pick up a basket for me? and confirm "gathering time".
I will sing.... along Chatham road.... as promised

Pete -

You're all set, I have three spares. I'll make sure you get one and I look forward to your arrival!

Juro
Old 08-28-2001, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Chris (08-27-2001 10:16 p.m.):
Just reserved a tent site at the closest place I could find, Scussett Beach State Res.. 0430 at Chatham Light seems to be the concensus. Anyone else want to chime in. I've never done rip rider/ monomoy only the beach at the light at the spring clave so we'll need some guidance. Ian is pumped. Let's fish!!!
Chris - thanks again for taking the unsolicited initiative to make the spring clave stickers many of us have on our windows. It was a pleasure having you at Spring Clave and I am really glad to hear that your son is feeling well and pumped up for this weekend.

Please consider me your area guide for whatever time I can get away. Right now I hope we can get you something closer than Scusset, if it's where I think it is... on the east end of the Canal (?)

Tell Ian I stink at spin fishing but I know where fish hang out I also hope he will accept a fly casting lesson, if interested.

Looking forward to it!
Old 08-28-2001, 07:40 AM
Wanna be striper bum

I do believe that the entire Doogue posse (Mike, Jim, Mark) will be out and about on Saturday. We would be game for some action at the light in the early AM on Saturday and then perhaps an early shuttle to either South Beach or North Monomoy.

With a 7:30 low on Saturday morning I am not sure if the early shuttle makes complete sense unless we decide to go sight fishing on North Monomoy. Then it makes good sense. Anyway, any interest in the early shuttle?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-28-2001, 07:59 AM
Middle Aged Member

Chatham inside will have a 7:30 low, Stage harbor a 5:55 low. I think if you want to fish the North Monomoy flats, ideally you would be out there about 6:00. Might be a moot point for Saturday - sounds like the weather may not cooperate for sight fishing.

Fred A.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:07 AM

Quote:
TinMan (08-26-2001 07:45 a.m.):
My father's visiting from "striper land" (Jersey) and I'd certainly like to correct that perception so we'll be heading down Cape next weekend as well. Haven't decided on a day but with 3 to choose from I figured I'd let weather/tides choose. Although the traffic back on Monday night is traditionally brutal.
Given a choice, driving back on Monday wouldn't be the one for me (you got that right!). Tides are good for AM low tide fisheries: Brewster Flats, Chatham Inlet, Monomoy / South Beach, etc. Mid-day floods may wreak some peabunker carnage on Nauset and the back beaches. Afternoon outgoing flows may bring hardtails to inlets on the soundside.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:21 AM
President of CAC

All sounds good.. Pete, it looks like Juro has you covered.. I have a spare also and will bring it just in case... I will probably head down late Friday also... but the tides are perfect for the light Saturday morning... I hope there's fog... We can spend some quality fishing at this rip I know. Other holes also close to each other... forget The Point. I'm with the group for the shuttle at 8, but if sight fishing is not in the plan I will make a bee line for South Beach by way of Rip rider. Pete, how does that sound.. promise me you will stop annoying me on the beach with that grin
Old 08-28-2001, 09:41 AM

Quote:
FredA (08-28-2001 07:59 a.m.):
Chatham inside will have a 7:30 low, Stage harbor a 5:55 low. I think if you want to fish the North Monomoy flats, ideally you would be out there about 6:00. Might be a moot point for Saturday - sounds like the weather may not cooperate for sight fishing.

Fred A.
Not sure what the venue will be at this point, hope the weather cooperates. I've got 6:33a low at Stage, making the turn in certain channels on the west flats around 7 something. Any early bird shuttle will do the trick just fine and the real push doesn't come until about 10am anyway(same swing Sunday as next weekend) although I love the first few that trickle in. Skies are another issue entirely though. Given bad weather I would opt for something other than sight fishing of course; South beach or the back beaches come to mind. If the forecast holds true then Sunday would be the flats day.

If things work out a bonehunt might be in the cards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.