Cape Cod Report - 2nd half June - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Cape Cod Report - 2nd half June

Returned from two weeks on Cape Cod; Chatham, Pleasant Bay, Brewster Flats beach fly fishing. I fished every day for twelve days straight June 16 to June 27. In that time I hooked 44 fish, landed 39 with the best being a 26 inch SB and some blues to 5 lbs in the mix. So, I mostly picked schoolie SB and had a few exciting blue fish blitzes. What amazed me was that for the most part I was alone when I caught all these fish. People were leaving when I was showing up and showing up when I was leaving or on the wrong side of it. Where did I catch all these fish? It doesn't matter...it's the ocean; the tide changes every six hours and moves up a half hour every time it does so it's different every day, the wind blows from a different direction and shifts all the time, the bait hatches or moves with the vagaries of the conditions so it just doesn't matter where I was or where I parked. They are all well known spots that can be found with a good road atlas and knowing from where the wind blows.

Is this an exciting report? It depends on your point of view. I didn't hook any fish sight casting pre se unless seeing birds diving is sight casting. I use all of my senses plus that little feeling of "this is it" or "it's over, time to leave". So, for those of you who insist that sight casting is the only reason to fish, this report sucks. It also sucks for those of you who must only catch large fish so that you can post a picture on SomethingFace and be a big hero. So, this isn't the kind of report that makes good magazine copy.

For two weeks I walked on some of the best beauty that the earth has to offer. I found small trinkets in the sand, got salt air in my lungs, saw some amazing sunrises and sunsets, chatted with some nice folks, had the wind push me off the beach, had the gnats eat me when there was no wind, dealt with the stench of a dead seal, had some attractive young ladies chat me up about the fishing and had the sea talk to me and tell me where the fish were. So, for me, that's a good time.

p.s. I don't need anyone from a defunct fly shop in CA telling me this is an awesome report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Nice Report

Two weeks of working the beaches is a good deal. Casting to some breaking fish on occasion is always a good thing as well.

The important thing is if you had a good time and enjoyed those two weeks, then it can't get any better.

I like to fish that area as much as possible but these sustained strong SW are really starting to get me down. Anyway, good job and good report.

If you look at the previous post, I am sure our infamous California fly shop tried to reply to this thread but somehow messed up and re-posted their copy and paste "good report" as a duplicate post on the first half of the year report.

If they can't do a simple copy and paste, not sure I would want to do business with them ( not that there was ever a chance of that ), I think they would not be able to process an order correctly.

Last edited by bonefishdick; 07-06-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM

My kind of report.

Thanks

Martin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.