Shark attack - Savannah Sound - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Shark attack - Savannah Sound

March 21, 2013
(Eleuthera, Bahamas) - The Eleutheran can confirm the sighting of a shark this week, near the tranquil shore of Alabaster Bay/Receiver's Beach. Police tonight are also confirming a 50 year old male of Rochester, New York is in hospital after reportedly being bitten by a shark.

According to reports around 3:00 pm on Thursday 21st March, 2013 police at Governors Harbour Police Station received information that a Caucasian male was reportedly bitten to the left leg. The victim was reportedly fishing in waters at Savannah Sound, when the incident occurred. He was taken to the local clinic and later airlifted to the capital where he is detained in stable condition. Active police investigations continue.

Yikes. Going there in 2 weeks and have had a bull shark surface within 30 feet on the drop off in Savannah Sound just after breaking off a bonefish. The shark was obviously attracted to the action. It freaked me out at the time knowing I had over a 100 yards of water between me and the beach.

I hope this is just an anomaly.

Marty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I hope the guy is ok. It may be someone we know. To the best of my knowledge shark attacks are pretty rare in the Bahamas.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM

I've talked with some locals about big sharks in Savannah Sound and they told me that if a bull is known to frequent it they will stake a dead goat out at the low tide point and wait for the shark to show up on the rising tide to shot it.

That's one way cure the problem I guess.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Here is the full story, right from Kerry Anderson, who was bitten.

I sent him and his brother down to Eleuthera, Bahamas for this trip.

By the way, they loved Eleuthera and are planning to go back, in spite of what happened! He's got agreat attitide about the whole incident, and one hell of a story to tell at parties.

In almost 20 years of bonefishing, I have had hundreds of sharks sharing a flat with me, but never one that acted like this!

http://www.bahamas4u.com/forums/show...Shark#post3482
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

After my experience at Savannah Sound I admit that I look around often when I'm on the edge of the flat when I get up to my waist.

And I've seen a dorsal move slowly through the water on more than one occasion 50 yards further out over the vegetation. I think sharks like turtles too. And there are a bunch in there for sure.

Thanks for the update Vince. It's good to hear he's OK and ready to get back there.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I don't care for sharks. I had one about 8ft long swim a little too close to me last week in the Bahamas. About 100ft away in ass-deep water. I puckered up nice and tight on that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.