Stuck T Top Zippers - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Reef Runner

Stuck T Top Zippers

Any body have any good remedies for stuck T Top zippers? Whats the best way to get them working and then lubricated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Not sure what T Top Zippers are, and don't know if this is the best way to do anything like unsticking things, but, that being said, I had a pair of flats booties that had zippers encrusted with salt rime and very definitely wouldn't zip. Sprayed them with WD-40 (sorry, Juro, I KNOW WD-40 isn't a sponsor), let them sit a bit, and they work fine now.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM

That is a tough one, it comes with being on the salt. As we sailed all over the oceans zippers were always a problem no matter what type of make. Lots of warm fresh water hopefully with pressure behind it will clean out the white corrosion powder. Make sure zipper is laying flat against a cement surface before pressure cleaning zipper or else more than likely you will tear away the thread holding the zipper to material. We have found no chemical or grafite that works in keeping zipper free of corrosion. Most stuff that you can put on zippers attract more salt than they keep out, WD 40 is really bad at bringing salt to your zippers. We just use fresh water and exercise the zippers as often as we can, works best.
Good Luck
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM

silicone spray works well. Let it sit for a little and then grab the zipper with a pair of pliers if you can't get it by hand. Just be careful not to break the little tab. I assume this is on a "t-bag" or something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.