Momomoy overrated/ Selective Amnesia - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2000, 08:40 AM

Momomoy overrated/ Selective Amnesia

I have a rule of thumb. Whenever a fisherman is telling about how good a fishing location is, it's always best to subtract about 50% of how good the fishing is. You see, we fishermen suffer from a state known as "<b>Selective Amnesia</b>" We only remember the fish caught and not the skunkings.
We fished Monomoy that Sunday, 6 guys and only a schoolie or 2 retreived by the Estes bros. team (who fish their butts off). I've been watching ALL the Monomoy reports on ALL the boards for a coupole of weeks and boy it basically is dead out there. Is this a seasonal slow period or are people just infatuated with the FLATS?

TerryW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2000, 09:20 AM

RE:Momomoy overrated/ Selective Amnesia

Terry:

Here are my thoughts.........

I have had some not so succesful and some unbelievably succesful days at Monomoy. This year, my contacts tell me that the water is still just to cold. Although I cannot verify this, one person said that it seems to be almost 10 degrees cooler at this time of year versus years past. I have even seen this impact to fishing on the North Shore from some friends there...
I think Monomoy is a unique situation where you get to actually see the fish. This always lends excitement to the day as most of us spend our SWFF blind casting. Also, you get to fish in the day ! Traditionally, this time of year lends tiself to the beginning of night fishing...........I do not know about you but I would rather be wearing shorts and sun glasses than a jacket and using a light.
Also, the fishing there can be downright hard ! I have had days when I spotted over 200 fish on the flats and caught 3 fish the entire day. I have also had days where I actually saw 10 fish but caught over 50 in some of the holes and channels.
When it comes to size, my experience and history has shown that on average, most of the fish run larger than other spots I fish. But again, they have to be around.......

Do not get down on Monomoy.....with time, you will see some of those multiple fish days with the some real brutes brought to be released. I am hoping we get a few weeks of warm weather before we see our Clave II come on the 30th of June !

Take care
John
Old 06-19-2000, 09:22 AM

Sorry about the double posting........I got bumped from ISP.....

John
Old 06-19-2000, 11:36 AM

Thanks John. Solid response.
(btw) Sorry I missed you at the clave, we were on opposite days.

TerryW
Old 06-20-2000, 04:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Terry and John -

It is 99% a water temp issue. Roop and I went back mid-week after the clave and fished the westside flats. The water was freezing and the fish were lethargic! We spotted a few but found fish laying beneath the current in a large trench enjoying the water coming off the flats. They were 24" and up but not over 30". I had no complaints.

As we headed across the clam flat to meet Keith and Rip Ryder, fish were busting in plain sunshine. I got slammed on the first cast and was into a steady stream of chunky sub-legals that were hunting the sharp drop off near the south eastern tip of North Monomoy. The water was significantly warmer on the inside, which explains to me why the fish were so active off South Beach on day #1 of the clave. In fact, throughout the outgoing tide the fish were busting off the drop off and with a little persistence I was able to hook two and land a 28" just before reaching the rendezvous point... again in plain sunlight. Earlier in the morning, Chuck and I enjoyed hooking legal bass over 30" 50 yards apart. His went 34", and I'm sure his memories of the day were good.

My assessment of the situation on Monomoy is, the fish are there and they are favoring the areas where the water is preferrable. This means they are on the inside between SB and NM, south of Hardings and are inside Stage as well.

Even though I have been ignoring many of my other haunts lately, if I had one day off I'd still go to Monomoy and concentrate on the inside until the flats warm up.

I am beginning to believe that the reason the Monomoy flats is an effective place for huge cow bass to hang out during warm mid-day summer weather is because of the oxygen rich ocean currents running over the sand. These same atlantic express currents are keeping the west side cold during the late spring conditions we have going. During this delay, the inside is loaded with fish. Once things change, the westside flats will be back to their traditional form once again in my opinion.

Another factor is experience. 99% of the guys on the flats don't know how to sight fish effectively out there. Flats fishing is hard. Once the conditions come around the 1% will be in their element again.

My opinion - it's a fish magnet and it always will be.
Old 06-20-2000, 06:41 PM
Bruce

Guys,
I was there yesterday. Fish were feeding against the peat bank 1000 yds above the seals. Fish were busting in the channel west of Morris Island between MI and Stage Harbor entrance. On the outside (west) of South Monomoy there were many flats boats with customers fishing the edge of the flats. there were many small schols of two to three pound bluefish that I managed to catch a 27 inch bass out of. Since I was on a scouting trip and not flyfishing, I continued on to Point Rip for no responses and around the cor to Bearses for a 34 and a 40 incher.
PS : Juro, I saw gulls flying over the rip there as if looking for Sqiddlies - but saw none in the rip. But then again the tide was opposite of what is ideal for that.

bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.