Best DIY... - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Best DIY...

for bones and tarpon? Where should I start? What should I expect it to cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Best is relative! For me, multiple daily shots at double digit bones (even if that means two) and 25-50# tarpon (hook a couple a day and see more) is all I need to get me smiling at the cabana for the after-dinner rum drink and cigar. I also value the quality of scenery, the freedom to explore adventurously and find things that are off the beaten path; meeting interesting indigenous people and other adventurous travelers in a tropical setting away from a northeastern US winter.

My experience has been that DIY gets better the more times you go to a particular area, as the knowledge you pay for in a guide takes some time to acquire on your own.

Cost = flight + jeep rental + food + lodging; the rest is up to you...

I'm still exploring but tarpon DIY is going to be best during the pilchard migration in the Virgin Isles, Carribean - and bones are going to be best in the Bahamian out islands where there is no private enterprise activity to contend with not only in terms of competition, educated fish but harassment from guide businesses (e.g. Exuma).

However we'll keep searching won't we
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Do you know anything about Spanish Wells, Bahamas? It is right off the northern coast of eleuthera. What is the commercial activity like in that area?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM

I suggest you download Google Earth and you can look at it and other islands yourself. It will give you a good idea of how crowded an island is. Looking at Spanish Wells it is densely populated compared to most areas on the out islands. Commercially they have a commercial fishing fleet there and probably a good bit of tourism for an out island. There does appear to be nice flats for bonefishing around the island but they could be fished pretty hard which means spooky fish and the creek running along the south side could hold tarpon.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Check this out:

White Sands of Freedom

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/index.htm

one of our own member stories @ Spanish Wells
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 AM

If you start with location, I would think Mexico and Belize would be 2 great spots. I've never been to Mexico and the only time I was in Belize I was at Glover's Reef which would not be a good, consisitent tarpon spot.

Good luck searching!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.