bahamas bonefishing permits - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 PM

bahamas bonefishing permits

Hello board, there was a thread a few months ago about a proposal to require a fishing license for DIY bonefishing in the Bahamas. I'm headed down in about 2 months and am planning on fishing with a guide for several days, but had a half day when i arrive and wanted to go out for a little bit on my own.

Is there any update on a license requirement? If no, is the current regulations that i don't need a license or a permit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to belizefishing Send a message via Skype™ to belizefishing
Hey JTWG,

Not sure about Bonefishing - I know in the Bahamas you are allowed to fish from a dock or beach. However, their are limits and restrictions on fishing if it's being done from a boat. Those tend to be on shellfish, pelagic species, turtles etc.. I would recommend that you just check with a local marine officer once you arrive.

They've just passed a law here in Belize to attempt to force all tourist to take a local guide if they wish to fish. It's pretty steep for punishment. But then again like many things in Belize their just aren't any man power to enforce the law.

Best of luck and enjoy the fishing.

Tight Loops,

Jim "Big D" Harper
Bite Me Belize
Old 03-23-2009, 05:04 AM

THE LAW IS THE LEAST OF THE PROBLEMS DOING DIY IN THE BAHAMAS. I'D MAKE SURE THAT THE LOCALS ARE OK WITH IT. THAT PERHAPS IS THE REAL LAW.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 AM

Which isle are you headed to? I fish Acklins for a couple of weeks each year. For the last 4 years its been DIY.. I'm usually alone and I've never had a problem on the contrary I've found most folks down there pretty friendly even willing to tell me about spots I might try.

CC Charlie
Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 AM

Which isle are you headed to? I fish Acklins for a couple of weeks each year. For the last 4 years its been DIY.. I'm usually alone and I've never had a problem on the contrary I've found most folks down there pretty friendly even willing to tell me about spots I might try.

CC Charlie
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 AM

I'm headed to Grand Bahamas. I would only fish from a beach for about half a day. I'm planning on 3 days guided, I just have a half day when I get there and am anxious to get started!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If it were me I would ask your own guides where you can practice the winter casting arm and catch a few fish from shore before you hire them for three whole days. Get their name(s) and drop them if anyone bothers you.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.