Sunglasses - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Sunglasses

Lost my good pair of sunglasses late last fall trying to land a large, foul hooked, landlock. Too bad nobody had a video camera as I'm sure America's funniest home videos would have gotten a chuckle.

I really liked the lens tint (copper) for our freestone streams here in VT and backcountry flats in Florida; but, the frames didn't shield out enough light from the sides and behind. A lot of annoying reflections/glare on the inside surface.

Looking for any recommendations for the following:

1) (Replacement) A pair of shades w/ frames that have shields or other feature to block inside surface reflections (e.g. Costa Del Mar Man O' War)
a. Will be used predominantly in shallow fresh waters (streams, rivers, lake flats, etc...)
b. Not sure I'd say price is no object; but, I'm willing to shell out big bucks for this pair.
c. Lenses should be available in a copper/amber tint

2) (Upgrade) A pair of shades for open water fishing on Lake Champlain, Great Lakes, and Inshore/Offshore in Mid-Atlantic thru New England area
a. I Use gray tint currently, are Blue/Green really any better? Seems that gray should provide the truest colors while decreasing brightness. But, I like the idea of getting a little more contrast for ocean use (Stripers, Blues, Albies, etc...
so thinking something w/ glare guards (e.g. Costa Del Mar Man O' War) w/ copper or amber lenses. The other pair will be for open waters. For the later, I'm interested mostly in feedback on lense tings saltwater in Floridaone for fresh water streams/rivers and shallow pond/lake fishing
b. Not sure about frame style for these. I've had many different types over the years and haven't concluded any preferences yet.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Pencil me in.....

I use and like the Maui Jim Sport model. I find that tilting the head is important for glare reduction with any pair of sunglasses.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Jonesin...

Script lenses? Reason I ask is that I just went through this and getting script lenses was a bit more of a challenge at least for glass lenses that I wanted for scratch resistence in the salt. Tough to get a wrap lense with a heavy script. I ended up with Mauis and use a pair of aftermarket side shields to keep the glare from coming in the sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM

I accidentally left my Rx Smith Optics in my room at a lodge when permit fishing this past October. I spent the next two months trying to find another pair that I liked. I went through a bunch of companies and wasn't pleased with any of what they offered. I then was going to resort to Smith Optics again, but I couldn't get them to answer the phone in person nor return my voicemails. I ended up ordering a pair of Spotters, from Australia. They come highly recommended by a couple of fishermen whose opinion I respect. They are quite a bit more expensive than Smith, Maui, etc., but if they are better for spotting fish they'll be worth it. I'm hoping they'll be here for a trip to Andros in two weeks. If they come before I leave I'll report back on them here when I return.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Certified Fish Nut

Thanks for feedback so far...

Luckily I don't need RX, yet!

Smcdermott - where did you get the after-market shields? I haven't seen those yet. This might be the solution I'm after. Gives flexibility to put on/off as needed.

JR SPEY - The pair I had were Smith Action optics as well. Hope your Andros trip is fruitful and definitely interested in feedback on the spotters. I'll google spotters next chance I get and check them out.

jfbasser - Agree, tilting your head technique can help 'tweak' the last bit of glare reduction from the surface (water, road, etc..) you are looking at. This is because of the quality of polarizer, orientation of lenses w/ frame/eye, and some other environmental/physical factors related to the alignment of electro-magnetic fields of light the w/ respect to the orientation of the polarizer (I think... My photon-optics skills are a bit a rusty).

The main concern I have is over reflections on the inside surface of the lens (between eye ball and lens). This reflected light isn't affected by the polarizers the same way so tilting head won't work. Wearing a broad rim hat, fat frames that seal up to your skin, and other tricks help but aren't always practical/functional.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Most of the new premium lenses have an anti-reflective coating on the inside of the lens that works pretty well for blocking glare from the back.

I have to agree that tilting the head can make a major difference when sight fishing no matter how well your glasses fit.

Dark bronze/brown lenses work well for my eyes in most environments. The HCL bronze color from MJ is a favorite.

Lightweight is key if you are going to have them on 10hrs/day...
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Jonesin...

I got the side shields from LLBean 6 or 7 years ago. Don't see them on their website but a quick google search produced a few results. The ones I have use a flexible core with a cloth casing and are very comfortable.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.