Sunglasses - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Sunglasses

I'm in the market for the best sunglasses out there for shallow salt water fishing, and would appreciate the opinion of those who have one.
From what I've read, Costa Del Mar seems to be on top, especially with the 580 lenses, and it seems the amber or copper color would be the best bet.
Informed opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There was a recent thread with extensive testimonials.

I've been a Maui Jim guy for several years now... in fact I still have the pair that converted me from other brands. Their service is excellent, I've had them in for repairs a couple times.

I do not wear prescriptions or have the reading style split lenses which I hear Action Optics is among the top brands.

BTW - I use both the copper color and the gray. One is better in lower light, the other for true color recognition which is a key factor in sighting on the flats for me that I've noticed many take for granted. The contrast in the copper is sharp and I need both.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
LBFF Mojo

I switched over to costas and wear the harpoon with the 580 green mirror glass lenses if I am out in the daytime and sight fishing.

I had read somewhere a good number of florida sight fishing guys were switching to the green mirror so I gave em a shot and for my eyes they are the best sight fishing glasses I have ever had.

-sean
Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
President of CAC

I can only say that I agree with juro on this and have several pairs of maui's...each in copper and grey..... a couple plastic and a couple glass...the plastic are the lightest weight sunglasses I have used or seen...Maui has corrected the potential cracking on the light weight frames that attach directly to the lense.... thay have also began manufacturing a green lens which I will also try. The green lens is not on all models until thay see how they sell.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM

just to make your choice more confusing, i too, just bought the costa 580 harpoon in the green mirror. The mirror is really the same as the amber lens 580, but it has a coating on it that supposedly reflects a bit more glare. I called costa and told them i wanted the "ultimate bonefishing glasses" and they said to go with the green mirror 580.

one of the things to consider is that plastic lenses are significantly lighter, but i've found the glass to be much more scratch resistant. i have two pair of costas and my 3 year old picked my 400's off my hat and tossed them on the concrete at the pool this summer, and no scratches.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can't get used to all that glass weight on the bridge of my nose, the Titaniums are light as a feather.

I scratched up the first pair but got smart after that and now make them last for several years without scratching. Just use a neck loop, cinch it up when leaning on the gunwhale to land a fish and you're good for years with plastic. Some companies will replace the lenses for short $ if you are not the careful type, or go with glass.

Polycarb lenses are safer for the eyes since much of the injury occurs from the glass itself vs. the object shattering it. "Plastic" will not add to the damage in fact it's the same material used for shop goggles. Skiers will not use glass lenses, shooters, etc.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.